How to Apply for a Name Change in Kenya.

Share this
bama cap

Adults frequently feel the need to change their names for various reasons. Fortunately, the law permits this. To change one’s name, the Registration of Documents Act of Kenya requires the following steps.

In-Person Application:

  • Make an appointment with the Registrar General’s Department to have a copy of the Deed Poll drafted.
  • Completing a deed poll as prescribed in ( Form 1 ) of the Act’s Regulations;
  • Make an application for registration using Form A from the Registration of Documents (Forms) Regulations; the Deed Poll is accompanied by the applicant’s birth certificate.
  • The application is accompanied by a statutory declaration as required by the Act (Form 6). This declaration is sworn by a Kenyan resident who knows the applicant by the name they wish to change.
  • The documents are submitted for registration to the Registrar of Documents.
  • Following registration, the registrar publishes the deed poll in the Kenya Gazette. At this point, the name has been changed.

Sometimes, after a name change has been completed using the above procedure, the individual feels the need to update their identity card to reflect the change. The following is the procedure for changing the name on your identity card under the Registration of Persons Act:

  • Fill out the Deed Poll on Change of Name (form 1) and submit it to the Registration Officer. This form describes the specifics of the change. This form can be obtained from the registrar general’s office or downloaded online at the following link: Online
  • Depending on the type of name change, you may need a combination of the following documents.
  1. Marriage Certificate
  2. Deed Poll
  3. School leaving Certificates
  4. Sworn affidavits
  5. Confirmation letters from administrative office
  6. Birth Certificate
  7. Copy of parents ID card.
  • Surrender your current identity card and pay a Ksh 1000/= fee.
  • The registration officer signs a certificate in the form prescribed in the Fourth Schedule to be issued to the applicant; the applicant’s photo is taken for him to be issued a new identity card.
  • The Registration officer forwards the application form, photograph, and surrendered identity card to the Principal Registrar, who records the changes in the register of persons and cancels the surrendered I.D. card.
  • After sixty days have passed since the registration officer issued the certificate, the applicant appears before the registration officer at the registration office specified in the third column of the certificate and surrenders the certificate in exchange for a new identity card.

Documents Required

Depending on the reason for the change in particulars, some of these documents may be required.

  • Letter from the area chief
  • Finger print printout
  • Deed poll and affidavit to which shall be attached certain requisite documents
  • An affidavit by a witness who has known you for at least 10 years
  • Two Passport size photo.
  • Birth certificate or Baptism certificate.
  • Identity cards of you parents.
  • Marriage Certificate
  • School Leaving Certificate
  • Sworn affidavits
  • Copy of parents ID card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate
  • Parental consent to marriage

Contact Information & Office Locations

Sheria House, Harambee Avenue, P.O. Box 40112-00100, Nairobi, Kenya Tel: +254-2-2227461/2251355 0711 9445555/0732 529995 E-mail:

Co-operative Bank House, Haile Selassie Avenue, P.O. BOX 56057-00200, Nairobi, Kenya, Registrar General Department of Justice Tel+254-2-2224029/ 2224082/ +254-733-241111 Email:

Share this