Naspers’ backed ecommerce company, Konga.com, has disclosed that it’s set to expand to other countries in Africa from 2015 after seeing remarkable successes in 2014.
This follows its launch of engineering hubs in South Africa and China and last year and the strengthening of its own logistics unit dubbed KExpress which boasts a fleet of over 200 vehicles.
TechMoran is yet to establish the countries, names and strategy the firm will use but according to allegations, its competitor Rocket Internet’s Jumia had acquired all its country top-level domains across Africa such as Konga.co.ke, Konga.co.za among others, so the firm might be forced to use subdomains if the dispute is not settled yet.
“Konga started the year 2014 with a renewed focus on satisfying our customers. With this end point in view and our customers as our north star, we developed a road map that many would have found daunting or downright unachievable in the course of just 1 year,” said Konga’s Head of PR, Olatomiwa Akande.
Konga also said it now has over 150,000 products for its customers to choose from and almost 10,000 sellers are registered and are actively advertising and trading on Konga.com. Last year, the firm signed on some leading brands such as Adidas, Slots, the AD by Agbani Darego line, and many more.
To meet local demand, Konga has a workforce of over 700 employees and is expanding by the day and has been recognized world over. Below are some of the awards the firm has received.
- ”Most Innovative and Impactful retail brand” – Lagos Chamber of Commerce Industry awards
- “Best digital marketing company 2014” – Creative Entrepreneurs of Nigeria
- Top 12 finalist for the 2014 Africa Awards for Entrepreneurship (AAE)
- “Best e-retailer Company” – Marketing World Awards 2014
- “Best use of social media in Marketing” – Marketing World Awards 2014
- “Top 12 – Most Respected Company in Nigeria” – Businessday media limited
- “Best Customer Service Company in E-Commerce” – Nigeria Customer Service Awards 2014