Photovoltaics (PV) Developers have been invited to submit proposals for the Unlocking Solar Capital Africa conference pioneered by Phanes Group and in partnership with Solarplaza, Hogan Lovells, responsAbility, and Proparco.
The submitted proposals must be for projects that are based in sub-Saharan Africa and have a clear CSR component.
Interestingly, this will be the first African event featuring a Solar Incubator Programme, aimed at identifying PV projects of potential in sub-Saharan Africa by providing access to funding, and commercial and technical knowledge.
It comes as part Unlocking Solar Capital Africa’s goal to solve Africa’s solar energy funding gap and Phanes Group’s core strategy to collaborate with Africa-focused counterparties, such as local project owners, governments, and developers on projects that seek to create a sustainable future for urban and rural communities across the sub-Saharan region.
“Clean energy has the potential to transform sub-Saharan Africa for years to come, but successfully implemented PV solar projects require a diverse mix of expertise and knowledge to bring them to financial close,” said Martin Haupts, CEO, Phanes Group. “We believe the Phanes Group Solar Incubator will leverage untapped local PV potential, and create more opportunities for local projects. Combined with our strengths in developing bankable solutions for clean, affordable energy and efforts in CSR, the incubator initiative can help to address local needs that haven’t yet been met.”
There are currently more than 620 million people in sub-Saharan Africa living without electricity, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA), which works to ensure global access to reliable, affordable and clean energy.
“As dreamers of a future where everybody can have access to electricity for a fair price, initiatives focused on long-term success like the Phanes Group’s Solar Incubator are always dear to our hearts,” said Edwin Koot, Solarplaza. “Renewable energy infrastructure projects result in myriad benefits. We wish participants the best in bringing forth this ripple effect to their communities, and look forward to meeting them at the ‘Unlocking Solar Capital Africa’ conference this October,” Edwin Koot added.
- Winning project candidate(s) will enter a partnership with Phanes Group and hold a long-term stake in the project, collaboratively bringing it to financial close
- Phanes Group and its partners will provide winner(s) with extensive knowledge transfer throughout the project – starting with a 2-month incubator phase, including a 4-day face-to-face workshop in Dubai, UAE
- The final selection process will take place during the “Unlocking Solar Capital” conference in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (October 25-26, 2017), where the winner(s) will be announced
- Please e-mail all submissions to [email protected] using the form downloadable below
- The submission deadline is October 1, 2017, at 11:59 pm CET (Central Europe Time)