Here are the eight startups from Kenya’s startup scene selected to compete at Seedstars Nairobi fifth edition for a chance to represent the country at the Seedstars Africa Summit and the global Seedstars Summit in Switzerland.
With the support of the local host Nailab, Seedstars World will be holding a dynamic pitch event on 21st September 2018, to choose the country’s Best Startup.
Besides representing Kenya at the Seedstars Regional Summit, the winner will win an all-inclusive trip to Switzerland, to compete at the Seedstars Summit for the title of Seedstars Global Winner and up to USD one million in equity investments and other prizes.
Kenya was previously represented by M-shule, with their innovative solution to improve learning for every primary student in Africa using artificial intelligence and SMS to deliver personalized accessible education.
The top startups to advance to the finals are:
- Angaza Elimu: edtech solutions to reduce content delivery inefficiencies that learners and teachers face in and outside of the classroom.
- Bitshamba: Helps dairy farmers to get access to inputs, credit and insurance by using IOT based tools to collect real-time data about their cattle.
- Bluewave Insurance Agency Limited: An insurance startup that is creating innovative mass market, microinsurance products accessible via mobile devices.
- Gravity.earth: Gravity leverages blockchain technology to allow anyone to create a self-sovereign, data based digital ID to access essential services.
- Lily Health: A mobile chat service to help women in emerging markets get personalized health advice. Artificial intelligence makes it scalable.
- PataGrao Ltd.: an app through which a user can locate and book a sports facility ranging from pitches to courts, swimming pools and golf courses, among others.
- Paybobby: A one stop platform that helps SMEs automate back-office activities to reduce operational wastage using “pay what you want” business model.
- Optimetriks: Agile Sales Force Automation platform to help Africa’s FMCG companies better manage their distribution in the traditional trade.
The startups will pitch in front of a jury that consists of Samuel Gikandi, CEO of Africa’s Talking Ltd; Munyutu Waigi, Umati Capital’s co- Founder; Teresa Mbagaya, Investment Principal at Omidyar Network; and Maryam Mgonja, East Africa Associate at Seedstars.
Further support is provided by Bora Digital, who is awarding in kind prizes for the top three winners.