On October 19th, during Seedstars Cape Town, HouseME won the 1st round of Seedstars South Africa and will be heading to the Seedstars South Africa Finals that will be held on November 14th. The event took place this past Friday, at Seedspace Cape Town , and ten selected startups were invited to present their companies in front of the local jury panel.
HouseME, which connects tenants to residential landlords, providing letting services for a fraction of agency fees, “The Airbnb for long-term lets” was selected the best startup in Cape Town for its innovative sustainable solution. As a part of the prize, HouseME will be participating at the Seedstars South Africa finals, taking place on November 14th at Seedspace Cape Town.
Slide Financial, which offers white-label digital wallets and easy-to-use payment APIs used by businesses to create sharing-economy or investment app, came second and Kuba, which partners with small business owners to bring them digital tools that help them access new markets as well as streamline their operation grabbed the last spot in the top 3. Slide Financial and Kuba will also be heading to the Seedstars South Africa finals.
The other startups invited to pitch were:
- DealZapp (Pty) Ltd: a location-based self-service special offers’ platform that will entice customers into your shop and give customers the closest and best deals.
- GreenFingers Mobile: enables access to market and finance for small farmers through a digital platform replacing traditional pen and paper management systems.
- JOBJACK: an online marketplace for entry-level jobs – disrupting the status quo.
- Jumpin Rides (Pty) Ltd: an urban mobility platform providing a commuting service to make more accessible, cheaper and safer transport in South Africa.
- Digs Connect: Africa’s largest student accommodation marketplace. Find a room close to your campus.
- Tutor Roots: A reliable, secure and convenient way to get an approved tutor for 1-on-1 lessons in the comfort of your own home.
- Vibescout: the easiest way to discover things to do near you.
The local Ambassador of Seedstars World, HYBR organized the event with Seedstars World’s local partners PayFast. The event received further support from Solution Space, Silicon Cape, Kontent Park, Lavenir and venue partner Seedspace Cape Town. The event attracted interest from over 120 attendees.
Continuing on its world tour of startup scenes in emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, Seedstars World’s next stop is Johannesburg at Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct, to select the best startup in Johannesburg. Seedstars World is looking for smart startups that solve regional issues and/or develop profitable products for the global market.