Car accidents are an unfortunate but
inevitable part of life. At some point, everyone will be involved in an
accident on the road. While many will be lucky enough to walk away unscathed,
many others will suffer an injury. Compounding the issue is the steady increase
in popularity of ridesharing services like Lyft and Uber. These are good
alternatives to traditional taxi cabs due to their convenience and considerably
Steps to Take After You’ve Been in a Road Accident
Regardless of whether you have been in an accident involving a regular passenger car or an Uber or Lyft vehicle, there are several basic steps you must take immediately afterward. They include the following:
• Check yourself and others to make sure that everyone involved in the accident is okay. First and foremost, safety is the most important thing after a road accident.
• Call 911 to summon emergency services to the scene. Getting the police there is important if you plan on filing a personal injury claim as a police report can be made. Medical attention should also be sought even if you feel absolutely fine after the accident. Injuries can lie dormant due to the rush of adrenaline that naturally occurs
after a harrowing accident, so you may not experience symptoms for hours.
• Take as many pictures of the scene as you can manage. Get shots of the road, skid marks, the vehicles involved in the accident, road signs and anything else that is pertinent to the incident.
• Get information from the driver or drivers involved in the accident, including their names, phone numbers, addresses, license plate numbers, insurance information and driver’s license numbers.
• Speak with witnesses if you are able to and get their names, contact information and account of the accident. You may want to have them write down what they can remember as memories may not be as sharp weeks or months later.
• Contact your insurance company and inform a representative that you were in a car accident. It’s better to do this earlier in the event that you plan on filing a claim as it gives you a better chance of having your claim approved.
• Write down your own account of the accident as soon as possible.
• Remain calm, even if it’s difficult. Say as little as possible to avoid making the situation worse and to avoid having anything you say be used against you later, especially if there is a lawsuit filed.
What Happens After a Ridesharing Vehicle Gets Into an Accident?
Los Angeles is a city that is always buzzing. It is also one of the most common for Uber and Lyft vehicles to be operating as people enjoy the convenience and cheaper costs of ridesharing services over regular taxis. For many, Uber and Lyft are an everyday part of life for getting from one place to another. Unfortunately, the increasing popularity of these ridesharing services means a greater risk of the vehicles getting into accidents. It’s important to know what can happen if a Lyft or Uber driver gets into a crash.
Uber and Lyft and Their Growing Popularity
At this point in time, you probably know more than one person who has relied on Lyft or Uber — or even both —to get around. The ridesharing services have been around for several years, with Uber first making an appearance in 2009. Millions of people have since downloaded both companies’ apps to order a ride to get to their destination of choice. This convenience supersedes the need to stand on a street corner to signal for a taxi.
Currently, there have been billions of rides completed with ridesharing services. On a daily basis, many people rely on Uber or Lyft to get them to where they need to go. Considering the vast number of requests for the ridesharing vehicles’ services, it’s only natural that accidents are happening, and more frequently. What if you are a passenger in an Uber or Lyft vehicle when a ridesharing driver gets into an accident? There is also the possibility of being a pedestrian who is hurt in an accident with one of the vehicles.
Unfortunately, due to a number of issues and insurance companies getting involved, what happens after an accident is not always so clear-cut. Accidents involving ridesharing services can be complex due to a number of factors. A Los Angeles ridesharing lawyer can help you to take the next step. At West Coast Trial Lawyers, attorneys are experienced and ready to help you out.
What to Do if You’re a Passenger in a Ridesharing Vehicle
The situation is easier if you are a passenger in a ridesharing vehicle that ends up in an accident. You are no doubt traumatized by the accident and may even have an injury. You may also be in shock and not know what to do. However, if you are a passenger in a ridesharing accident, it is not your fault. You should also know that ridesharing companies carry $1 million insurance policies that cover accidents that occur with a passenger in the vehicle. If you have suffered injuries, you should get in touch with an Uber accident lawyer or Lyft accident lawyer to file a claim for the compensation you deserve.
What to Do if You’re a Pedestrian
If you are a pedestrian involved in a ridesharing accident, things are more complex. There are certain situations that can be in play that can affect the coverage you can get from the ridesharing company if you have sustained an injury. They include the following:
• The driver didn’t have the app on: If the driver did not have the app on but was driving and was not looking for a ride, you would have to make a claim against the driver and their personal auto insurance policy. If that is insufficient to cover your claim, you would have to rely on your own uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
• The driver had the app on and was waiting for a ride request: If the driver had the app on, waiting for a ride request, the ridesharing company’s insurance would apply. It includes $50,000 for injuries per person up to $100,000 and includes $25,000 for property damage.
• The driver was traveling to pick up a passenger: If the driver was on their way to pick up a passenger, the ridesharing company’s $1 million insurance coverage for injuries applies. The driver’s GPS would serve as proof that they were traveling to pick up a passenger. Regardless, it’s wise to consult with a Lyft accident lawyer or Uber accident lawyer to ensure that everything is on the up and up.
• The driver was transporting a passenger: If the driver was driving a passenger to a destination, it’s also easy to prove. The same $1 million insurance coverage applies as for when the driver is on their way to pick up a passenger.
No matter what the situation, if you were injured after a ridesharing accident, you should consult with a skilled Los Angeles ridesharing lawyer at West Coast Trial Lawyers to learn about your options.