By: Charles Miller
TAG Heuer is one of the biggest names in the watch world, largely due to their top-tier marketing campaigns. That being said, this brand has a ton of history and craftsmanship to back up its reputation among collectors, consumers, and celebrities. One of the best examples of that fact is the TAG Heuer Aquaracer, but their catalog is absolutely packed with more timepieces that you’ll love. Below, I go over some background in this brand, introduce the celebs who respect it, and talk about my favorite model that they offer.
In 1860, a man by the name of Edouard Heuer opened a workshop in Switzerland, the horology capital of the world. He slowly began building his business and propelled it into becoming a powerhouse brand by the start of the 1900s. Like many watch companies, TAG really took off after both World Wars had run their course and wristwatches had become ubiquitous in western countries.
TAG Heuer continues to impress into the modern age. One of the things that collectors like best about it is its price point. Unlike the wildly expensive Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet, they manage to sell their products at a more affordable level. The result is a more accessible brand that still delivers a lot of watch for your money.
What TAG Heuer Is Known For
This company best known for crafting high-quality sports watches with fantastic looking designs. The 3 most popular include the TAG Heuer Aquaracer, Carrera, and Monaco. Each of those timepieces would go great in your collection, but the defining characteristics of TAG are its refined style and the aura surrounding the brand. They have excellent marketing, ambassadors, fans, and aesthetics. This results in their products being highly sought after in the watch community and beyond.
Fans and Ambassadors
Going through TAG Heuer’s top celebrities fans can be a bit confusing. The reason is that they have so many ambassadors. Some high-profile wearers are paid to do so, while others are not. Ultimately, though, celebrities generally do not take ambassador jobs from companies that they don’t believe in. You’ll find that TAG has an amazing portfolio of fans when you adopt that mindset.
The following are a few celebrities who have worn TAG Heuer in high-profile settings.
- Barack Obama – This former president loves two types of watches: Fitness trackers and more luxurious analog pieces. When he wears the latter, it is often his TAG Heuer Series 15000. You can be sure that this isn’t a paid endorsement, too, as he sported this watch during his presidency.
- Tiger Woods – Tiger was one of the most famous athletes in the world when he was at his peak. Naturally, TAG decided to build a massive marketing campaign around him. Their print ads were in almost every golfing magazine published during those years. These days, Tiger has moved on to a Rolex endorsement, but I bet he misses his TAG pieces from time to time.
- Matt Damon – Damon has a habit of showing up to awards ceremonies with incredibly rare and expensive watches. One recent example was his Van Cleef & Arpels timepiece at the 2016 Oscars. That being said, he doesn’t wear those types of products day to day. Instead, he wears his TAG timepieces.
- Brad Pitt – This A-list actor was another high-profile ambassador for TAG. He appeared in a substantial amount of advertisements for a number of years.
- Matthew McConaughey – ‘How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days’ is a classic romantic comedy starring this famous actor and Kate Hudson. There’s a good chance you’ve seen it, but you probably didn’t spot McConaughey’s TAG Heuer Monaco, which serves as a symbol of his career success.
My Favorite Model: The Tag Heuer Aquaracer
Of all the fantastic timepieces this brand produces, the Aquaracer is by far my favorite model. The thing that jumps out at your right away is how clean the aesthetics are. So many companies out there try to make watches that are quirky and original, only to produce one that just doesn’t look good. TAG doesn’t fall into that trap, as the Aquaracer sports a timeless design.
Another impressive aspect of this timepiece is its overall quality. It offers exceptional materials, 300-500m water resistance, and a level of sturdiness that you can feel the minute you get your hands on it. Combine that with the aesthetic component that we just discussed, and you have one of the best entry-level diver options on the market.
Whether you choose the TAG Heuer Aquaracer, Monaco, Carrera, or any of their other fantastic models, you’re going to get a really great watch. You don’t become an established Swiss powerhouse by disappointing your buyers. Luckily, TAG doesn’t make this mistake, instead delivering an excellent product every single time.