Entrepreneurs seeking to clinch a share of $1 Million of The Africa Netpreneur Prize Initiative courtesy of the Jack Ma Foundation are urged to apply before the June 30th deadline.
The Prize which officially began calling for applications on March 27th 2019 aims to support and inspire the next generation of entrepreneurs who are building a more sustainable and inclusive economy for the future. It is open to mission-driven African entrepreneurs from all countries, sectors and age groups.
Every year, 10 finalists will be selected to compete in a finale pitch competition that will be broadcast across the continent. All ten finalists will gain access to the Netpreneur community of African business leaders to leverage the community’s shared expertise, best practice and resources.
Global leaders Graca Machel, Chair of the Graca Machel Trust Board and Ban Ki-moon, Former UN Secretary-General and Co-chair of the Ban Ki-moon Centre for Global Citizens serve on the ANPI advisory board.
Alibaba Group Executive Chairman Jack Ma first created the prize after he made his first trip to Africa in July 2017 and was inspired by the energy and entrepreneurial potential of the young people he met. The Prize is open to entrepreneurs from all industries, and Ma especially encouraged those running small businesses, those making a difference in their local communities and female entrepreneurs to apply.
To qualify for a share of the $1Million Africa Netpreneur Prize, entrepreneurs are urged to consider the following:
· All applications are done online on www.netpreneur.africa website. As part of the process, each applicant MUST first create a profile of themselves.
· Be African nationals from any of the 54 African countries with a business registered in the country of operation in Africa.
· Have been in operation for a minimum of 3 years in order to show year on year revenue
· Have a service/ product market fit, i.e. addressing a need in the continent.
· Be mission-driven with strong values.
· Have a minimum of 2 co-founders or 5 staff members. The applicant is required to make 3 one-minute long videos demonstrated below, which can be shot off a phone in a well-lit environment:
The applicant introducing themselves, the business, how long they have been operational and why they are passionate about their business. The second video should be an endorsement from their co-founder or a member of staff saying why they enjoy working with the entrepreneur. The third is from a customer endorsing the applicant, what service they enjoy from the entrepreneur and what they possibly need to improve on to get to the next level.