It’s official: It’s estimated that by 2022, physical landlines and PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) will be coming to an end. Although this may still be a few years from now, the end is near and businesses need to prepare for it. Technological advancements in phone networking systems will cast out all other telecommuting business solutions. We want present you a business solution that is relevant today and will be for years to come.
Some companies have already declared the end of public switched telephone networks, otherwise known as plain old telephone systems. This can cause huge issues for companies who have still not made the switch. This article will provide you insights on what other alternatives you can take for your new business telephone network.
Deployed in the 1980s by Orange, the PSTN network has allowed professionals and individuals alike to communicate through phones that would allow people to communicate, thanks to automatic switches.
Unfortunately, the equipment has become obsolete and maintenance for these landline phones has become nonexistent. Because of this, Orange has announced a newer model of phone networking systems that would eliminate their “prehistoric” phone systems.
Over the years, several companies such as Fonvirtual have devoted their time into research and creations of a more modern and innovative telephone system. Fortunately for us, there is now several alternatives to the previous PSTN system.
IP networks or VoIP (Voice over IP) represent the future of communication. This communication method has allowed people to communicate through the internet or any network that accepts the IP protocol. These broadband phone services also allows all kinds of data to be sent through the line, such as images, music or videos.
It’s been predicted that once PSTN disappears, VoIP networks will be the prefered form of replacement.
As once stated by Winston Churchill, “There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction.”
Today, several companies have already made the change and have invested instead in broadband phone services. These VoIP services offer a modern solution to traditional phone networks.
To prepare for this change, people should become of aware of what options are available to them. For example, WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communication) is the main option people are choosing as an alternative. It is still VoIP, but with many additional benefits.
Similar to Skype, however there are two main differences:
Podría compararse con el famoso Skype, pero presenta dos grandes diferencias:
- Because it can be used through any web browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox, WebRTC is more accessible and does not require downloads of any sort
- WebRTC is completely free and doesn’t require any plugin installations or third party software
Advantages of VoIP
VoIP allows you to keep our existing landline phone number (if you still have one).
Through the use of IP technology, you can receive calls on either your computer, laptop or phone. You can either open up a web browser or use an app to access the service you’re using.
WebRTC give you the advantage of being able to make calls or send messages anywhere, as often as you’d like, for a much cheaper price than traditional phone networks. The only thing you’d need to make a call is a stable internet connection.
Many companies have already switched to VoIP because of how much they save on their monthly phone bills and their increase in internet speed provided by their internet service providers.
With these changes, companies will notice the many additional benefits they’ll have compared to their previous phone systems:
- Economic advantage. The lower costs will allow users to save more than those who have not made the switch.
- Long-term investment. Migrating to a new IP phone network is the most strategic choice to make when preparing for the future disappearance of traditional PSTN technology
- Supports mobile workers. By not being connected to a physical phone line, you have the ability to work and make calls anywhere. This promotes teleworking, so you can work from an exotic island or even from home instead of being tied to your office.
- Combination of features. All of your companies devices can be combined on the same network.
- Extensive Features. Companies have the ability to integrate a large number of features to improve customer experience. This includes optional menus, customized greeting messages, voicemail, call recording, call transfers, and so much more.
- Productivity increase. This new technology, along with innovative telecommunication systems such as call centers, can provide a significant increase to your company’s productivity. These systems help manage calls in a much more efficient and customizable way. Thanks to WebRTC, your production levels will rise and we can guarantee the results will be amazing.
The Best Solution
Orange has allowed WebRTC and other telecommunication solutions to be used in business. Google Chrome, Firefox, Windows 10, Android and iOS are all compatible with WebRTC. It offers more interesting opportunities for all businesses, large or small.
By applying this technology within any organization, old phone networks become obsolete. As a consequence, more and more companies will need to make the switch and adapt to these changes.
By preparing for technological changes in the telecommunications sector, companies will benefit by making the switch as early as possible. With improvements in customer service experience and being able to work from anywhere, businesses will improve significantly. Society and technology is changing, and this is a change we love. Make the switch now and watch your business grow today!
Biography: Emma Smith, PR and content manager at Fonvirtual. Fonvirtual provides companies and entrepreneurs with virtual services, visit its website for more information. I am an avid blog writer, where I often spread the word on telecom services in international business.