The digital marketing industry is one of the fastest changing niches in this day and age. This holds true for subjects like search engine algorithms, digital technology, social media platforms and so much more. However, when it comes to search engine optimization for businesses, the same questions are usually posed: What does an SEO agency do and why are SEO services essential?
Unfortunately, since the industry is not governed or regulated, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors and a lot of businesses have been getting ripped off by dodgy practitioners who do not deliver the services or results they promised. In fact, due to the rise in complaints, the SEO industry is now being watched by Ombudsman. Search engine optimization is one of the most crucial digital marketing aspects in this competitive landscape. In this post, you’re going to learn what an SEO agency, what it does and also why you need these services.
So, What is an SEO Agency?
A successful search engine optimization campaign calls for proper SEO campaign design. This is a task that is best done by professional agencies who specialize in SEO. These agencies are also known as SEO firms and they not only help develop a site for your company but ideally help it generate relevant and quality traffic toward the website.
What Does an SEO Agency Do?
SEO is an aspect that involves an array of strategies that are utilized to help rank your website on the top search engine results pages or SERPs. SEO agencies have in-house professionals who work together to ensure that your website has the best exposure possible. When you hire an SEO company, you can expect the following services:
1. Keyword Research
This is a core search engine optimization task that involves identifying popular terms and phrases that people enter into the search engines. This is done to figure out what to rank for. Keyword research gives you a better understanding of how high the demand for particular keywords is and how hard it will be to compete for those phrases.
This task is not just about identifying how many searches a term has, it’s ideally about exploring the different ways that individuals use language when it comes to researching a topic or an idea. Keyword research is usually the first step in developing an SEO campaign.
2. Improving Website Structure and Optimizing Code
In some cases, your site’s code and the manner in which it’s set up may already be ideal and may just require some few changes in order to make it SEO friendly. In order to outperform your competitors, the SEO agency will:
- Restructure the site’s navigation to make it easier for visitors to find what they are looking for.
- Check and clean up the code so that the site can load faster.
- Find and fix errors found by search engine crawlers
- Add or refine XML sitemap so that crawlers can run the site and individual web pages more quickly.
Knowing this in advance can help you gauge how much SEO companies know what they are talking about and their competence. The more technically equipped you are, the more effective you will be at choosing a search engine optimisation agency.
3. On-Page SEO Optimization
When it comes to SEO, content is king and in regards to maintaining your site, it is not something you can fix and forget. You need to constantly update your site by posting relevant content in order to drive traffic to your site. It is also imperative that you optimize the existing web pages. For this, a reputable SEO agency will;
- Make sure that titles and metadata include your primary keywords
- Remove or reuse duplicate content
- Add high-quality content with the right keywords in the right places
- Optimize or create new landing pages in order to attract new visitors
- Add and format images so that they can be easily searched and found by crawlers.
4. Off-Page SEO Optimization
Your offsite presence is equally imperative as your on-site presence and so, an SEO agency will work hard by:
- Using local search engine optimization to improve your online presence when searched for in your region.
- Claiming or updating your online directory listings to ascertain your business information stays up to date and relevant.
- Ensuring your offerings match the online presence. For instance, if you launch a new service, your online presence should reflect the same.
5. Link Building
This is another important SEO aspect. It’s simply the process of getting hyperlinks from other sites to your own. A hyperlink is a way for people to navigate between web pages online. Backlinking is an imperative ranking factor as search engines prefer websites that are backed authoritative sites. The more high-quality backlinks you have, the higher you are likely to rank on the search engines. However, that’s not the only benefit. Link building ideally helps build relationships with other online businesses, get referral traffic, build your brand and so much more. A reputable SEO company will work hard to ensure you get as many quality backlinks as possible.
6. Continued Analysis
Given the ever-changing landscape of digital marketing, you can already tell that SEO is not a one-time thing and it’s more than fixing your site. After all, what’s the point of making changes but have no idea why you’re doing so? An SEO agency will help you in this aspect by:
- Watching and analysing your rankings, paid and organic traffic and conversions.
- They will then use the data gained from the above process to refine your campaign and retarget.
At this point, you can see the importance of SEO and also why this is a job left to the professionals. All these tasks take time and need to be done in the right manner. Hiring a reputable SEO agency is your best shot in staying competitive in your industry.