In 2009, Safaricom launched the Skiza Tunes service where the subscriber can entertain their callers with a song before they (the subscriber) can pick up his or her phone. By 2017, subscribers had downloaded at least 132,000 tunes, and the numbers keep rising steadily. You can use a Skiza Tune as your trademark call back song, or change it as often as you want. Although not all songs are available as call back tunes, you still have a wide variety from which to choose. Here is a step-to-step guide on how to do this.
How to subscribe to a Skiza Tune
You can successfully subscribe to a Skiza Tune through four main channels namely:
- By use of Skiza code
- By use of SMS
- Directly through the website
- By express copying.
By use of Skiza Code
- Go to your phone’s keypad and dial in *811#.
- Scroll through the options and choose ‘Skiza Tunes Genres’.
- Now select which genre of songs you would like to pick your Skiza Tune from
- Select the song you want and download it.
- Now subscribe to set it as your Skiza Tune. This will cost you Ksh 1 a day for local tunes and Ksh 1.50 for international ones as long as the subscription lasts.
By use of SMS
- Go to the messaging app on your phone and send the word Skiza and the code of the tune you’d like to 811. For example ‘Skiza 12345’.
- Safaricom will send back a message to ask you to confirm your subscription.
- Confirm it and the tune will be set.
To get the code of the song you would want as your Skiza Tune, send a text message with the word SEARCH followed by the name of the song or artist to 822. For example ‘SEARCH DOLLY PATON’.
You can also get the codes from newspaper, television, or radio advertisements on the same.
Directly from the Website
This is perhaps the easiest method. You will however need a smart phone or a computer and working internet.
Simply log into the Skiza Tune website by keying in the following address into your browser’s search tab www.skiza.safaricom.com. Just scroll through the list of available tunes and select the one you want.
By express copying
Express copying happens when you copy a Skiza Tune directly from another person. To do this successfully follow the steps below.
- Call the person with the song you like. Tell them not to answer the call.
- While the Skiza Tune plays, access your keypad and dial 11.
- The Skiza Tune will automatically set as your own as well.
You can select a Skiza Tune from a long list of available songs. They range from Gospel, Bongo, International Tunes, Local dialect tunes, Reggae, etc. The Skiza Tune does not have to be a song however. You can get inspirational messages, funny speech, or personal messages.
Artists who wish to register with Safaricom and Skiza Tunes can do so through the various companies partnered with Safaricom. You can get this information on the Safaricom Website or by simply calling their customer care lines.
To delete a Skiza Tune from your phone send the word DELETE followed by the code of the tune. For example DELETE12345.