Sometimes even putting a bulb is a bit of challenge, but apparently not for these four African girls.
At only 14 and 15 these four young girls have done a phenomenon thing. Their startup was first spotted at the Maker Faire Africa event, a startup event that would showcase people’s ideas and talents. As people were showing off their inventions, one was the most striking to most people. These are startups that are meant to change lives, bring people together and these four girls created something brilliant. They managed to use urine as the main source of energy.
The teenage girls figured out a way to use a liter of urine as fuel to get six hours of electricity from their generator.
Fourteen-year-olds Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, and Faleke Oluwatoyin, and 15-year-old Bello Eniola fascinated everyone with their idea.
Here’s how it works:
- Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which cracks the urea into nitrogen, water, and hydrogen.
- The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
- The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
- This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.
- 1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity.