https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-5653101863891512
Home Telcos Zimbabwe’s Telecel set for closure for noncompliance of laws

Zimbabwe’s Telecel set for closure for noncompliance of laws

by Susan Mwenesi
0 comment

telecelnew2Telecel Zimababwe faces withdrawal of its license after the country’s regulatory body established that it has not complied with local empowerment laws.

Ventures Africa reports that all foreign-owned companies are required to to cede 51 percent shares to local business people in line with the Zimbabwe Indigeniusation and Empowerment Law

The company that boasts over 2.5 million active subscribers in Zimbabwe has however ignored this law.

Your non-compliance with the ‘indiginization laws’ has stalled the issuance of your licence document and you cannot continue to operate without a licence document,” said Baxton Sirewu, director general of Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) in a letter to Telecel Zimbabwe management.

 Currently Telecel Globe owns 60 percent in Telecel Zimbabwe while the remainder 40 percent is held by Empowerment Corporation led by businessman Jame Makamba

Telecel Globe is a subsidiary of Orascom Telecom Company, a major international telecommunications company with interests in Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and North America.

You may also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-5653101863891512
%d bloggers like this: