Customizing these photos that act as a screensaver is easy provided you are ready to connect your Google account to your device. Once you’ve logged in to your account, you can create an album of your favourite photos in Google Photos and use it exclusively for your Chromecast screensaver. The Chromecast with the Google TV screen saver is called “Ambient Mode” and is linked to the setup process that takes place in the Google Home app. Ambient Mode can be a slideshow of Google Photos or an Art Gallery “Ambient Mode” is actually just one of the possible screensavers that you can use.
Google has hidden options for the screen saver, but it’s still possible to use them. here’s how:
- First of all, you just need to install the Google Cast app on your smartphone to get started. It’s a free app, and it’s available both for Android and iOS.
- Once you have Google Cast installed, make sure your phone is connected to the same local network as your Android TV device, then open the app and head to the Devices tab. From here, tap the three-dot menu button on the card with your Android TV device, and then choose “Backdrop settings.”
- You’ll see a list of all available custom source images on your Android TV screensaver—I’d suggest you let them all see what they’re all about at first. There are several more options within each category that you can enable or disable, so poke around in these menus to add any sources that interest you.
- Once you’ve enabled any custom source, all you have to do is wait for the screensaver to kick in on your Android TV. Once it does, you’ll be greeted with gorgeous images that were previously unavailable for Android TV’s Backdrop feature.
- Just open the Google Cast app on your smartphone and tap the image on the Devices tab. This will take you directly to the source of the image, where you can learn more about the artist or even save the image to your device.
- Alternatively, you can just open the Google app on your smartphone, and then say “OK Google, what’s on my Chromecast” to view the same information.