You can quickly close an open tab in your internet browser by using a detailed tab shortcut key. This is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari, and we’ll show you how to use it properly.
Close an open Chrome tab Using a Shortcut Key
- To quickly close an open Chrome tab on Windows, Chromebook, or Linux, use the Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut. Your tab will be closed immediately.
- To close an open tab in Chrome on a Mac, use the Command+W shortcut.
- If you want to close all Chrome windows, press Ctrl+Shift+W (Windows) or Command+Shift+W (Mac) (Mac).
If you accidentally close a tab, you can restore that tab by pressing Ctrl+Shift+T (Windows) or Command+Shift+T (Mac) (Mac).
Shut an Open Firefox Tab Using a Shortcut
- On a Linux or Windows PC, you can close an open Firefox tab by pressing Ctrl+W.
- The keyboard shortcut for closing an open Firefox tab on a Mac is Command+W.
- A full Firefox window can be closed by pressing Ctrl+Shift+W (Windows) or Command+Shift+W (Mac) (Mac).
Tip: If you accidentally close an important tab, there are several ways to reopen closed tabs in Firefox.
Use a Shortcut to Close an Open Edge Tab
Because Edge operates similarly to Chrome, you should use Chrome’s shortcut to close tabs in Edge.
- To close an active Edge tab in Windows or Linux, use the Ctrl+W keyboard shortcut.
- You can close an open tab in Edge on Mac by pressing the Command+W shortcut.
- To completely close an Edge window, press Ctrl+Shift+W (Windows) or Command+Shift+W (Mac) (Mac).
Use a Shortcut Key to Close an Open Safari Tab
Safari, like other browsers, allows you to close open tabs with a shortcut key. This shortcut also works in Safari on iPad when a physical keyboard is connected to the device.
- To close an open Safari tab, press Command+W on your keyboard. As an alternative, press Command+Shift+W to close your Safari window.
- In addition, if you find yourself closing a necessary tab, you can restore closed Safari tabs in your browser.
- Your searching speed will most likely skyrocket with the availability of a keyboard shortcut to close an open browser tab. Searching is a breeze!
Consider the advantages of using tab groups as your browsing skills improve.