If you’ve been using WhatsApp on your smartphone for a while, you’re probably already aware of how simple it is to backup WhatsApp to Google Drive, and that process even happens automatically. The most common question is if Google Drive backups of WhatsApp chats may be accessed directly. If you wish to achieve this, this post will not only provide an explanation but also numerous approaches.
Is it possible to directly read a WhatsApp backup stored on Google Drive?
It’s crucial to remember the end-to-end encryption of the WhatsApp backup that you have in your Google Drive. This implies that even while making a backup can be simple, you might not be able to read it on your computer or with any other third-party software. Therefore, the only method to retrieve the backup is by using WhatsApp on your device, followed by a straightforward chat account restore.
How to Read WhatsApp Backup on Google Drive on Android
You must restore the backup to your Android smartphone in order to read the WhatsApp backup on it. This is how you do it:
- Install WhatsApp on your device. If you had already installed and set up WhatsApp, you may need to uninstall the app before installing it again.
- Login to WhatsApp using the same login details you used when creating the backup.
- WhatsApp will detect the backup and ask you to restore the chats and media. Simply tap “Restore” then wait for the process to be completed.
Find WhatsApp Chat Backup on Google Drive:
If you’re unsure where your WhatsApp chat backup is located on Google Drive, follow these steps:
- Go to http://drive.google.com and sign in using your Google account email and password. If you are accessing your Google Drive account from your mobile device, tap on the “Menu” button at the top and select “Desktop Version”.
- Now click on the gear icon at the top corner and then select “Settings” from the options.
- Click on “Managing apps” from the side panel and find the “WhatsApp” folder. Here, you should be able to see all the data that you have backed up in alphabetical order.