Google Maps is now one of the most popular services. It assists users in a variety of ways, from measuring the distance to providing directions. You’ve been using Google Maps to persuade others, but did you know that Google is now allowing users to add missing places to Maps?
Before you begin using Google Maps, you must first complete the following steps:
- Turn on the GPS.
- Allow Google Maps to access your current location as well as your audio speakers.
How to Add a Missing Location on iPhone, iPad, or Android
Go to the “Contribute” tab in the Google Maps app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
At the top of the screen, tap the “Add Place” button.
You must now complete the information for the missing location. Everything marked with an asterisk must be completed.
Instead of typing in the address, tap the map to move a pin in the location box.
When you’re finished, click the arrow icon in the top-right corner.
Your submission will be sent to Google, and you will be notified via email once it has been reviewed.
On the desktop
- Launch Google Maps. In your browser, navigate to https://www.google.com/maps. You can add a location from this website if you’re logged into Google Maps.
- Click ☰. It’s in the top-left corner of the page. A menu will pop out from the left side of the window.
- Add a missing place by clicking the Add a missing place button. This link can be found near the bottom of the pop-out menu. When you click it, a window called “Add a Place” appears in the upper-left corner of the page.
- Give the location a name. Click the “Name” text field at the top of the “Add a place” window, then enter the name of the location you want to add.
- Include the location’s address. Enter the street address of the location in the “Address” text field. If applicable, include the city, state, and ZIP code.
- Choose a category. Click the “Category” text field, then select a place category (e.g., Restaurant) from the drop-down menu.
- Fill in the blanks with additional information about your location. You may include the non-essential information listed below.
Phone number – Click the Phone text box, then enter the phone number for your location.
Website – In the Website text box, enter the URL of the location’s website.
Hours – Click the Add hours link, choose your days of operation, and then enter an open and close time.
- Click the Submit button. It’s the blue button in the bottom-right corner of the “Add a location” window.
That’s all there is to it. The difficult part is getting your submission accepted. Google is fiercely protective of its map data, and rightly so. It’s one of the reasons Google Maps is so dependable. Places should be added with caution.