If you intend to use Mozilla Firefox as your default browser, you may want to import bookmarks from another browser. Firefox makes this simple, and we’ll show you how.
Methods for Importing Bookmarks into Firefox
Importing bookmarks into Firefox can be done in two ways.
Use Firefox’s direct import feature if the browser from which you want to import bookmarks is installed on the same computer as Firefox. This feature allows you to choose the source browser and then assists you in migrating various data, including bookmarks.
If you exported bookmarks from another browser to an HTML file, use Firefox’s import HTML feature to import them. You load your HTML file into Firefox using this method, and the browser adds all of your bookmarks. You do not need to install the other browser.
You cannot import bookmarks onto a mobile device such as an iPhone, iPad, or Android. Instead, import your bookmarks into Firefox on your desktop and then use your desktop Firefox account in the Firefox app on your phone. This syncs all of your desktop bookmarks with your phone.
Import Bookmarks From Another Web Browser Into Firefox
To import bookmarks from another web browser directly into Firefox,
- First launch the Firefox app on your computer.
- Click the hamburger menu in Firefox’s upper-right corner (three horizontal lines).
- Select Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks from the menu that appears.
- Firefox will launch a window labeled “Library.” Click Import and Backup > Import Data From Another Browser at the top of this window.
- An “Import Wizard” window will appear. Click “Next” after selecting the browser from which you want to import bookmarks.
CLOSE THE BROWSER FROM WHICH YOU ARE IMPORTING BOOKMARKS BEFORE CONTINUING.
- Enable “Bookmarks” in the “Select Which Items to Import” section on the next step of the wizard. You are free to choose any other data to import into Firefox.
- Then press the “Next” button.
- Firefox will import your bookmarks from the browser you’ve chosen. The wizard will display a “Import Complete” message, indicating that all of your bookmarks are now available in this browser.
- Click “Finish” to close the wizard window.
That’s the end of it. Firefox now provides quick access to all of your favorite websites. To see your new bookmarks, make sure your Firefox bookmarks bar is enabled.
Import Bookmarks from an HTML File into Firefox
If you have saved your bookmarks in an HTML file, open it in Firefox to add them.
- To begin, open Firefox on your computer. Click the hamburger menu in Firefox’s upper-right corner (three horizontal lines).
- Click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks from the hamburger menu.
- A “Library” window will appear. Click Import and Backup > Import Bookmarks From HTML from this menu.
- You will be presented with your computer’s standard “import” window. Navigate to the folder containing your bookmarks HTML file in this window. Then double-click it to open it in Firefox.
- Firefox will import the bookmarks from the HTML file you specify. You are now ready to finish configuring Firefox.
Import Bookmarks from iPhone, iPad, and Android into Firefox
The iPhone, iPad, and Android versions of Firefox do not support bookmark import. You can, however, sync the app with desktop Firefox to access your computer’s bookmarks from your phone.
- To begin, launch Firefox on your phone. Tap the three dots in the top-right corner of the browser.
- Tap “Bookmarks” in the three-dot menu.
- Tap “Desktop Bookmarks” when the “Bookmarks” page appears.
- Tap “Sign in to See Synced Bookmarks” on the “Desktop Bookmarks” page. You will now be prompted to sign in to your Firefox account to sync your desktop bookmarks with your phone.
- Sign in to your account, and your bookmarks will appear in the app on your phone once they have finished syncing.