Doing product and category research is essential for a great start. Going through such homework will probably be quite dull, but it will make all the difference in the world. This is especially important for people who haven’t come up with a particular product.
If you don’t feel like doing Etsy category research or can’t be bothered, don’t worry! We have you covered. We’ve gone through the essentials, focused on successful selling and the niches worth exploring so you wouldn’t have to. Here’s the outcome of that research.
Why Should You Even Bother with Etsy?
Well, why shouldn’t you?
Selling on Etsy is easier if you’re focused on the realm of handmade and artistic goods. The marketplace is less competitive in this case, with different product categories. However, relying on more platforms can help your brand’s consistent and healthy expansion.
Back to the main question, why Etsy?
Here are just a few of the reasons why it makes sense and should be given a try:
- Huge potential:
- according to the official what sells best on etsy, the number of platform users grew from 9.3 million in 2012 to 81 million in 2020. Similarly, the number of sellers went up from 830,000 to 4.1 million over the same period. That’s a huge marketplace that has been growing and growing. Currently, over 60 million products are offered for sale on Etsy, and approximately 92 percent of the customers believe they can find items that aren’t available elsewhere. What builds a sense of exclusivity, trust, and loyalty that smart sellers can use, OK?
- More specialized than other marketplaces:
- we have talked about this characteristic before by running a comparison between Etsy and eBay, as well as other marketplaces. While significant, it’s still much more specialized than the alternatives like eBay and Amazon. As a result, sellers can carve out a niche and find it a bit easier to come across the right customer demographic. For some products and handmade creations, having a narrower set of prospects can be much better than a large group of leads that aren’t all too interested.
- The Etsy community:
- eCommerce can be a cutthroat business, especially if you come across some of the more giant sharks on Amazon or eBay. Etsy maintains much more of a community sense. If you’re not aggressive in your business approach (and let’s face it – most of us aren’t), the chances are that you’ll feel entirely bulldozed by the big players out there. On Etsy, you’ll get a lot of support from the community. Sellers can easily interact with each other, ask questions and benefit from the experience of those who have been in business longer. Such know-how can be complicated to obtain elsewhere.
- You’re not alone if you don’t know how to build your website or maintain an eCommerce channel. Many artistic folks struggle with the business side of things, and that’s where Etsy “steps in.” The platform is created for people who aren’t eCommerce, marketing, or SEO professionals. Setting up an Etsy store, promoting it, and interacting with clients are all relatively easy. And if you still don’t know what you’re doing, you can always fall back on the Etsy mentioned above the community.
- Easy to track performance: how’s your store doing? Are you a shining success or just mediocre? Etsy helps you know the answers. Built-in analytics give you a ton of information about your performance and the things you could be doing differently to improve. Such information is invaluable (and keep in mind that accessing detailed data will often cost you money). Not only do you get an accurate portrayal of your current performance, but you can also seek opportunities to become better in the future.
These are just a few reasons why the decision to sell on Etsy is good.
ALSO, READ – Selling on Amazon Handmade vs. Etsy
However, you have to be one smart cookie to use these benefits.
Smart cookies research and learn from the experience of others. Luckily, you can do that by exploring best-selling items on Etsy. There are dozens of categories, some of them having a stellar track record. Pinpointing those can help you reach more clients, start selling faster and ensure consistent sales.
Let’s check out some profitable products, some hot categories, and how to use that information to turn yourself into an absolute overnight success.
Best Selling Categories on Etsy (and Some Hit Products)
A profitable niche can be challenging to find but since these are an absolute gold mine, the time spent exploring is worth it.
We’ve dug through hundreds of Etsy pages to see what people like and what they feel meh about. Here are the results.
You are presenting to your attention the most popular Etsy categories and some of the hit products within each.
Craft Supplies and Tools, Hands down, top etsy categories king of 2022.
According to Marketplace Pulse ranking, the first two top sellers on Etsy belong to this category. These stores are PlannerKate1 and Beadboat1. The first one has generated over 1.7 million sales (over 41,200 sales in the last 30 days), and the second one comes close with 1.1 million sales in total and 32,000 sales over the past 30 days.
Etsy is a platform for everyone in love with arts and crafts. Hence, it’s no surprise that people seek supplies for their favorite hobby there.
TIP! The best aspect of this category is that you don’t need a craftsman’s talent to make it big here. You can find a good and affordable wholesale source of arts and supplies that you can offer via your Etsy store. Discover the top-selling categories on Etsy with their best-selling items, available for print on demand straight away.
Some of the products you can start selling within the niche include:
- Beads, gems, and jewelry-making supplies;
- Chains, charms, and pendants;
- Jewelry-making tools;
- Sticker albums;
- Vision boards and dashboards;
- Paper and cardboard;
- Sewing supplies;
- Home improvement tools and supplies.
As you can see, the range is vast, and you can easily find a sub-niche that you can dominate.
- Sum Up
Don’t be afraid of going big and entering the world of Etsy with a bang.
You can quickly start from home and scale your business as needed. And who knows, it could soon turn into a full-time venture. The sky is the limit, especially if you’re committed to taking the idea out of the hobby and into the natural entrepreneurship realm.
Utilizing a multi-channel listing platform can make the task of growing sufficiently more accessible. Don’t hesitate to contact our team if you have additional questions about how Sellbery works.