The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a Kenyan government agency tasked with providing affordable and accessible medical insurance coverage to all Kenyans.
NHIF coverage can be obtained quickly, securely, and affordably by paying payments using MPesa. There is no justification for exceeding the deadline for your NHIF contributions given the convenience that comes with this payment option.
Steps for paying the NHIF using MPesa
Follow these steps to pay your NHIF fees via MPesa:
- Go to the Mpesa menu in your SIM Tool Kit by opening it.
- Visit Lipa Mpesa.
- Enter 200222 as the business or pay bill number after choosing Paybill.
- As the account number, type in your National ID number.
- Put the amount you wish to pay in here.
- Send after entering your pin number and confirming the transaction
- You will receive a transactional message from Mpesa after making the payment confirming the contribution you made.
How can you be sure you’ve paid the NHIF?
The actions listed below can be simply done on a mobile phone to verify the status of your account:
- Create a new SMS.
- Your ID number should come after the letters “ID” and a space.
- Text the message to 21101.
You will then receive a response with your member number, ID number, birthdate, most recent contributions, and dependents listed.
Ensure that the contributions have been received and credited to your account by frequently checking the balance of your NHIF account.
It is crucial to remember that NHIF contributions are obligatory for all employed Kenyans and optional for those who are self-employed. If you don’t pay your contributions, your health insurance may be suspended or subject to fines.