Microsoft and PayPal have announced a partnership that would enable peer-to-peer payments on the Skype mobile app.
With the new Send Money feature, users in 22 countries users will be able to use PayPal directly from their Skype mobile app to seamlessly send money to other Skype users.
The feature also includes options for currency exchange.
Using Send Money on Skype
To send money, you’ll need to be using the latest version of the Skype mobile app, but the friend or family member who’s receiving the funds can be using any version of Skype. If you, or your friend who’s receiving the funds, don’t already have a PayPal account, you’ll be prompted to create one the first time you use Send Money.
- In a Skype chat, tap Find or swipe to the right.
- Select Send Money from the add-ins.
- Select the country you live in. Then select the country your friend lives in and tap Next.
- Enter the amount of money you’d like to send and tap Next.
- You will be prompted to sign into your current PayPal account and link your PayPal account to your Microsoft account. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you will be asked to create one.
- Tap Send to complete your transfer.
- Tap Back to chat and you will see a money card with the transfer status in your conversation.
Send Money is supported in the U.S. Canada, United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain. Both sender and receiver must be from one of the countries in which Send Money is supported.
According to the two companies, additional countries will be available in the future.
You can send money in US Dollars, Canadian Dollars, British Pounds and Euros.