Thanks to technology, many public services in Kenya are simpler and faster. One does not have to check or pay bills physically. With a smart phone or computer, you can keep your bills updated to avoid any inconveniences. One of the bills you can easily check and pay online is your water bill. The National Water and Sewerage Company allows all its users to settle their bills, and any other issues through their online portal. This is a short guide on how to do so successfully.
What you need
- Computer or smart phone with working internet.
- Your meter number.
- A NWSC account.
How to open a NWSC account
- Open your preferred browser on your phone or computer and key in https://www.nairobiwater.co.ke/ on the address bar.
- This will take you to the homepage of the NWSC webpage. Use this time to familiarize yourself with the available tabs and services the page offers. This might help in case you have other issues aside your bill.
- Find the ‘Online Service’ tab and click on it. This will take you to a new page where you can create your account.
- Fill in the blank spaces with the correct details and click on ‘submit’.
- With your account set up, you can now check your outstanding bills.
How to Check your Water Bill on your Mobile Phone
In the event that you do not have a computer or internet in your reach, NWSC created an alternative. By using the short code *888# you can now check and pay your water bill, check and edit any incorrect account and personal details. Moreover, you can use this code to ask for assistance from the institution, as well as request for a technician in case of leakages or any other mishaps.
- Go to your phone’s keypad and dial *888#
- A pop up window will appear with about seven options. Each directs you to all available services. Take time to familiarize yourself with them in case of any future needs.
- To check your outstanding water bill balance, choose option 2.
How to Pay Your Water Bill via MPESA
Once you have your water bill balance, you do not have to go to the Water offices to clear it. You can use your MPESA (or Airtel Money) to pay the bill. Here is how to go about it.
- Go to your MPESA sim tool kit.
- Choose the PAYBILL option.
- Enter the business number 444400. This is only for Nairobi residents. The business number differs in different Kenyan regions as outlined below.
- Now enter the account number as follows NWCXXXXX. The X represent the last five digits of your personal water meter number. For example, NWC34567, if 34567 are the last five digits. Click okay.
- Enter the amount according to the balance provided by the portal.
- Enter your MPESA pin and click okay. Ensure all the details are correct before making the final decision to avoid any errors.
Business PAYBILL Numbers for Different Regions
If you are outside Nairobi County, the MPESA payment method remains standard with only the business number differing. Here are some of the PAYBILL numbers per region.
- Mombasa – 895500
- Kisumu – 517000
- Nakuru – 111444
- Eldoret- 511000
- Tharaka Nithi – 901325
- Kiambu – 885100
- Garissa – 880600
- Mavoko – 363100