Extensions are mini-apps that add additional features to your browser. You add an extension to Chrome, and that’s it. But Mac Safari does it differently as extensions are shipped as applications. Here’s how to run Safari extensions on your Mac.
How to download and install Safari Extensions for Mac
Mac users running Safari 12.0 or higher (running on and beyond MacOS Mojave) must use the App Store method to install Safari extensions. Here, you first need to download the extension as an app, then enable the extension before you can start using it.
- Make sure you run the new version of MacOS.
- Then open your “Safari” window. Click the “Safari” button in the menu bar and choose the “Safari Extensions” option.
- This will directly open the “Safari Extensions” section of the App Store app.
- Alternatively, you can open the App Store, go to the “Categories” section of the sidebar, and use the “Safari Extensions” option to access this section.
- Here you can see extensions grouped into different categories, along with the “Top Free” and “Top Paid” pieces.
- Here, picks the extension you want to use
- Then press the Get” button or the “Install” button. If needed, enter the username and password of your Apple ID.
- The extension, or rather the software, is now going to be mounted on your Mac. You can open the app if you want to. But chances are, it’s only going to give you guidance on how to activate the extension.
How to Enable an Installed Mac Safari Extension
You can’t start using the Safari extension right after you install it. Instead, you need to go to “Safari Preferences” and allow an extension.
- If you go back to Safari, you’ll see a banner that says new extensions are available. Click the “Turn on and review” button here.
- This will take you directly to the “Extensions” category of Safari Preferences.
- Alternatively, go to Safari > Preferences in the menu bar and click the “Extensions” tab to see a list of all available extensions.
- To allow an extension, click the checkmark icon next to the extension on the left sidebar.
- Choose the choice “Turn On from the pop-up message.
You can return here at any time and press the checkmark again to uninstall the extension.
How to use Safari Extensions for Mac
- Once the extension is allowed, it will appear in the Safari toolbar, right next to the URL bar. Browse the Safari page and click the extension to use it. Each extension has its own functionality, and you can see all its features and options in the drop-down below.
You’re free to switch extension icons anywhere you like in the Safari Toolbar. Press and hold the “Command” key, drag and drop the extension icon to its new position.