When working on Word documents, it is quite common for Windows users to accidentally close the window or shut down the computer. You may also encounter an app crash or BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), leaving the Word document unsaved. Don’t be worried if you think you have misplaced your work. There are still methods for recovering an unsaved word document on your computer.
Follow the steps below to recover a word document that you saved at least once.
- Launch Word on your computer.
- Select your document from the “Recent” list.
- It will open the Document Recovery Pane with the Document.
- From the “Document Recovery” pane, select the most recent autosave version.
- You can now save the word document and continue working on it.
If you have saved the document file at least once, this will work.
Recover Unsaved Word Document from AutoRecover
You may begin working on a Word document without saving it at least once. You will not be able to get the autosave version in such cases. They may not even be listed in Recent Documents. In such cases, Microsoft Word’s AutoRecover feature comes in handy.
how to recover an unsaved Word document from AutoRecover on Windows 10
- Start the Microsoft Word app on your Windows 10 computer.
- Select the Blank Document option.
- The Document Recovery pane in the new Document window will display the document you were working on most recently with an AutoRecovered tag.
- Click on it, and you’re done. The autosave word feature will take care of the rest.
- To save the document, click the Save button on the tiny message at the top of it.
Find Out All Unsaved Word Documents
- On your Windows PC, launch Microsoft Word.
- Click the Open button in the left pane.
- At the bottom right, click the Recover Unsaved Documents button.
- A new window will appear, listing the unsaved Documents.
- Open the. asd file containing your unsaved data.
- You can now edit and save the unsaved document of your choice.
Microsoft Word unsaved files are saved in. asd format.
How to Recover an Unsaved Word Document Manually
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- From the menu bar, select File.
- At the bottom of the left pane, select Options.
- Navigate to the Save tab in the popup window.
- Find the AutoRecover file location.
- Select Browse.
- Your unsaved files with the.asd extension can be found in the Opening Directory.
- Double-click the document and select Word as the app to open it.
- The autosaved word document will be displayed in read-only mode.
- To begin editing the document, click Enable Editing.
You can now save the file or copy and paste it into another word document to continue working.
Enable AutoRecover and Autosave on Word
- Open Word and go to the Options tab.
- From the window, select the Save tab.
- Click on Save Autorecover information every and enter “1” to set the timer to one minute.
- Click the OK button.
You can set the Autosave timer to one minute. While you are working on a document, Microsoft Word will save it every minute.
That concludes our discussion of the best ways to recover an unsaved Word document on Windows 10.