Video files are the most popular type of content on the internet. Unfortunately, video files can be easily corrupted and when they are, it is very hard to get them back. This article will teach you how to recover a corrupted video file using VLC Media Player. You’ll also learn about other free tools that will help with your video repair needs!
So without any further delay, let’s get into the article.
Method 1: Transcoding Corrupted Videos using VLC
In our first method to recover corrupted video files, we use the VLC player to transcode the video file. Transcoding means that the video file is converted to a different format. This method will work on any type of corrupted video file, whether it’s a MPEG-PS or H.264 MPEG-TS container with DRM encryption enabled, as long as you have the appropriate codecs installed for your operating system.
- First, we’ll need to download and install VLC Media Player. You can get the installer for free by visiting their download page here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
- Then, open up the video file and select Media, and then “Convert/Save” from the menu bar on top of your screen.
- Now add the video file and select a location for the output file.
- Finally, click “Start” to begin encoding your corrupted video files! This process can take anywhere from several minutes up to an hour, depending on how large the original video was and what format you are converting it into (e.g., H.264).
This method will not work with DRM-encrypted video files.
Method 2: VLC Video Fixing Capability Method
VLC player has an inbuilt AVI repair feature that can repair MP4 and MOV video files. This method is best when the video has frame issues or corrupted header file issues, so before using the exact corrupted file, make a copy of it.
- Now, open up VLC and go to Media, then open the corrupted video file from “Local Network Drive (UNC Path)” or your hard drive.
- Next, select Preferences > Filters > Input/Codecs > Damaged/Incomplete AVI files > Select “Always fix” from the options > Click on save button.
Now try playing the video file. If the player stutters every time it tries to play, then that means you need to replace your codecs with a better one for transcoding or simply try the next method.
Method 3: Cache Value in VLC
In this case, the video stutters, or lags a lot while playing, which can be easily fixed by increasing the VLC’s cache value. Now, follow the steps below to increase the cache value of the VLC player.
- Launch the VLC player on your computer.
- Next, go to the menu bar on top of your screen and click “Tools” > Preferences.
- Now scroll and select all settings by clicking the “all” button. You now have to select input/codecs and then search for advanced settings.
- Change the File caching value to 1000 from 300.
- Save these settings now and play the videos that were stuttering.
This method mostly works in situations when the problem is caused due to lags of the video player, if the video is severely corrupted, we recommend you to use an advanced video repair tool.
Method 4: Use A Video Repair Tool
Lastly, if none of the above methods work for you, a video repair software will, and that too is the most preferred, Repairit by Wondershare which is one of the best solution-driven software developing company.
Repairit is one of its creations, that helps you to restore videos that are corrupted due to what so ever reason.
Repairit has two versions, a video repair edition and a photo repair edition, both of these features are provided in the same software, but today, we will be focusing on the video repair features.
Starting off with its features, we found some key features that should be shared with you:
- Advance repair feature – The feature that can repair videos no matter what’s the reason behind their corruption.
- A friendly interface – An interface that is easy to use is like a cherry on the cake for the users. Most of the video repair software do work but are very complicated to use and have a very cluttered user interface, whereas Repairit has a simple yet outstanding user interface that makes the video repairing experience much better.
- Preview mode – Before saving the repaired video file, you can always preview it and see whether it is repaired correctly or not.
- Batch repairs – If you have a dozen of corrupted video files, then this feature will help you out. Just select all the corrupted video files and fix all the videos at the same time, It saves you time and also repairs the video correctly.
- Repair UHD videos – You can repair videos of upto 8K quality.
What is the Pricing of Repairit?
One question that must have crossed your mind is the pricing of this product. Honestly speaking, Repairit is worth every penny, and another amazing fact is that you can use it on windows as well as macOS.
It requires a license to activate all the features, while there is also a free version that has limited features.
The pricing is divided into three categories, monthly, yearly, and lifetime.
The monthly plan for windows is $39.99 and $49.99 for macOS, while the yearly plan is available at $49.99 for windows and $59.99 for macOS, whereas the lifetime license is available at $69.99 for windows and $79.99 for macOS.
With that being said, we listed the 4 methods to recover a corrupted video file that won’t play. The first few methods are few and have a few chances of recovering the video file whereas the video repair software has a higher success rate among all methods.