Instagram for a long time limited who could use hyperlinks in Instagram Stories.
But, in late 2021, it lifted all requirements, allowing anyone to add them to their stories. You no longer need a business or creator account, you don’t need to be verified, and you don’t need over 10,000 followers.
Who can add links to Instagram Stories?
Instagram originally offered a swipe-up link tool that allowed select users to add hyperlinks to their stories. When used, viewers could swipe up on your story or tap an arrow at the bottom of their screen to open any page you linked – all without leaving the Instagram app. But to add a link to your story, you needed to be verified or have a business or creator account with over 10,000 followers.
In mid-2021, Instagram tested a link sticker that worked like the swipe-up link – only, viewers would tap instead of swipe. By end of 2021, it officially introduced the “Link” sticker for all users, opening up the ability for everyone to include hyperlinks in their stories. The link sticker is useful whether you’re a business linking to products for sale or an influencer linking out to an external blog.
Instagram said accounts sharing misinformation or hate speech will lose access.
How to add a link to your Instagram Story
Instagram’s “Link” sticker feature completely replaces the swipe-up tool, which was how users previously linked to external webpages from stories.
The ‘Link’ sticker
A link can be added anywhere to a story.
- Open the latest version of the Instagram mobile app.
- Tap the Stories camera at the top of your screen.
- Take a photo or video in the app or choose from your camera roll.
- Head to the Instagram Stories sticker tray icon.
- Scroll until you see the “Link” sticker. Select it.
- You’ll be given the option to either enter or paste a URL.
- You’ll be able to reposition your link sticker by dragging or resizing it with a pinch.
- You can also choose different colours.
- Done? If you’re on an iOS device, tap Done. If you’re using an Android, tap the check.
Can you use the ‘Link’ sticker elsewhere?
Instagram has said its link sticker is only meant for Stories. It has no plans to bring it to the main Instagram feed or elsewhere.