Glovo, a delivery platform in Kenya and various other markets has partnered with Esade Business School, Ashoka Africa and Boston Consulting Group (BCG) to launch an early-stage tech-based startup competition in Kenya in a new user acquisition strategy.
This is aimed at helping Glovo reach more SMEs and individuals who might need delivery services for their businesses or as individuals. As a general delivery platform, Glovo is in competition with local startups GoBEBA and Sendy and food delivery startups UberEats and Jumia Food. This startup competition is aimed at putting Glovo up and above from the rest of the pack and to get it more mileage and growth.
To participate in the competition, the start-up must not have raised more than USD20,000 in funding. The Competition will be made up of 2 stages. The first stage will be through an online submission while the second stage will be a physical event where the top eight shortlisted businesses get to pitch their businesses in person to a panel of judges.
- For the first stage, interested participants are expected to submit a 1 Page Executive Summary of the business highlighting:
- What problem is being solved
- Why the problem is relevant
- Target customers
- How the problem is being solved
- Key team members and their value addition
- Biggest operational/business challenge
- 3-year financial projection
- An extended pitch deck of no more than 12 slides/pages detailing:
- Business Model
- Go to Market
- Unit Economics
- Financial Needs
- Any additional relevant information
According to Sacha Michaud, co-founder at Glovo, “Africa is a massive opportunity to invest in, and we at Glovo are committed to helping build the Kenyan ecosystem for digital services, and we recognise the needs of SMEs as a critical part of the community. We believe Kenya is a hub for technology and innovations, we look forward to seeing the competition unfold and most importantly to help accelerate SMEs in the country on their digitalization journey.”
The top eight selected projects from the first phase will be invited to compete for the final prizes in front of a jury of experts including the co-Founder of Glovo, the Managing Director of BCG Kenya, and other tech leaders on 29th April 2022 in Nairobi, Kenya.
Invited to the panel of judges would be representatives from the Ministry of Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development and Information Communications, and Technology in Kenya.
There will be three prize winners – the 1st prize winners will receive a Mini Business Accelerator package through an all-expenses paid trip to visit Barcelona, Southern Europe’s leading tech hub. This will include:
- Meeting Top Executives -. They will meet top Glovo executives and have the opportunity to receive feedback and tips on their business as well as discuss any business opportunities and challenges.
- Business Support: A Visit to the Esade Business School Campus including sessions with experts from the ESADE Entrepreneurship Institute and the eWorks Accelerator program to have a review of the business plan and discuss with them the roadmap and go-to-market plan.
- Fast-Track Access to the Summer 2022 edition of the eWorks Accelerator program, which provides access to mentors, exclusive perks and tools and a final demo day with international investors (fully remote program).
The 2nd place winner will receive:
- Virtual session with Glovo top executives to get feedback and guidance on their business and to seek guidance on business opportunities and challenges.
- Fast-Track Access to the Summer 2022 edition of the eWorks Accelerator program.
- Pro bono consulting session with BCG Kenya consultants to help develop their business idea.
The 3rd place winner will get a Virtual session with Glovo top executives to get feedback and guidance on their business and to seek guidance on business opportunities and challenges. Also virtual consulting sessions with experts from the eWorks Accelerator, to get feedback and guidance on the business idea.
All applications should be submitted to https://esade.me/glovo-esade on or before 31st March 2022. All questions and enquiries should be directed to [email protected]