Businesses and organizations can easily and securely accept payments from clients using M-PESA Paybill and till number.
A transaction might, however, occasionally need to be reversed for a variety of reasons, such as an error in payment or a disagreement.One of M-PESA’s features is the ability to reverse a transaction that was sent to the wrong recipient.
If you happen to pay to the wrong Mpesa Paybill or MPESA Till Buy Goods & Services how to initiate a reversal.
- Via SMS
You must forward the M-Pesa transaction SMS or text message you got to the shortcode 456 in order to reverse an M-Pesa transaction that was made to the incorrect paybill.
Within 24 hours of sending the SMS to the Mpesa reversal code 456, the refund will be processed.
- Via Safaricom customer service
You can call Safaricom customer service by dialing 234 or 100 to reverse the transaction.
Alternatively, you might try dialing 191 and asking the Safaricom customer service to start the process of reversing the transaction you made to the incorrect paybill number.
You must provide the following details for a reversal of the M-Pesa transaction:
- Your full name
- The M-Pesa Transaction ID
- The time you made the transaction
- Your ID number
- Via the merchant
If you mistakenly sent money to a merchant’s pay bill number, you can get in touch with them directly.
Here is how the reverse M-PESA system operates;
- The sender of the transaction realizes they have sent money to the wrong recipient and contacts M-PESA customer care immediately or sends the M-PESA transaction SMS to 456.
- A customer service agent will inquire about the transaction’s specifics from the sender, including the recipient’s phone number, the amount sent, and the transaction code.
- The customer service agent will next get in touch with the transaction’s recipient and let them know that the money was paid to them in error.
- The recipient will be required to take a few actions to start the reverse process if they agree to refund the monies. These actions can involve calling a certain number on their phone or going to an M-PESA agent.
- The money will be returned to the sender’s M-PESA account after the reversal process has begun.