This year’s Intel University App Challenge took place on at University of Nairobi’s C4D lab. The challenge targets students from Kenyan universities, and this time the universities that were present include Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Technical University of Kenya, United States International University (USIU), Multimedia University, Moi University and Maseno University.
Students who took are in the competition had the chance to learn to port and develop applications for devices running Android based on Intel® Architecture. The student also receive training on how to monetize their applications and in addition, top developers will get a chance to win awards and a marketing deal for their applications.
“A good number of university students in Kenya have already taken up Android application development. The Intel University App Challenge is not just a competition but also a training to show upcoming developers how to create applications with a rich user experience and how to effectively market these applications. We believe such skills enable young developers to become self-employed, before they even leave university,” said Intel East Africa’s Software and Services Lead, Agatha Gikunda.
The was a total of 65 groups that registered, from different universities with great ideas. Six groups made it to the finals. They include:-
- Stimalight app – an app that will lias with the Kenya power and lighting company and will informs users of the areas that will be facing power shortage and at what particular time and duration. This app scooped firs position
- My Scheduler – A productivity application that enables users to schedule SMSs,emails and set event reminders, it took second position
- The Gaming app(Fish hunt)
The other apps that made it to the final list include
- Pupil Quiz – A math tutoring app that will give students quizes and sampe quesions then mark them
- Black Spotter – An app that warns drivers of balckspots in the places they will be traveling to
- Sheng App – An app that helps users learn and translate the Sheng’ language