Facebook has announced that users of Facebook Messenger and Instagram will be able to chat between the two apps.
Instagram DMs will also be getting some of Facebook Messenger’s features to improve the overall usability and user experience.
Facebook said in a statement, “More than a billion people already use Messenger as a place to share, hang out and express themselves with family and friends.”
“That’s why we’re connecting the Messenger and Instagram experience to bring some of the best Messenger features to Instagram – so you have access to the best messaging experience, no matter which app you use.”
Users will also be able to control which platform they primarily receive calls and messages on, as well as whether or not they get these notifications.
Instagram users will have the choice to update to the new version or stick with the current version for the time being.
In the new version, Instagram users will be able to highlight, forward and/or reply to specific messages in a chat. They will also be able ton customize chat colors and themes.
Facebook added, “Over time, you’ll see even more fun ways to connect with friends and family. Some features such as custom emoji reactions and selfie stickers will be available on Instagram first and will come to Messenger soon after.”
The social media giant listed the features users should expect. They include;
- Communicate Across Apps – Seamlessly connect with friends and family across Instagram and Messenger by using either app to send messages and join video calls.
- Watch Together – Enjoy watching videos on Facebook Watch, IGTV, Reels (coming soon), TV shows, movies, and more with friends and family during a video call.
- Vanish Mode – Choose a mode where seen messages disappear after they’re seen or when you close the chat.
- Selfie Stickers – Create a series of boomerang stickers with your selfie to use in conversation.
- Chat Colors – Personalize your chats with fun colour gradients.
- Custom Emoji Reactions – Create a shortcut of your favourite emojis to react quickly to messages from friends.
- Forwarding – Easily share great content with up to five friends or groups.
- Replies – Respond directly to a specific message in your chat and keep the conversation flowing.
- Animated Message Effects – Add visual flair to your message with animated send effects.
- Message Controls – Decide who can message you directly, and who can’t message you at all.
- Enhanced Reporting and Blocking Updates – Report full conversations in addition to single messages on Instagram, and receive proactive blocking suggestions across Instagram and Messenger when you add your accounts in the new Accounts Center.
Facebook will be rolling out these features in a handful of countries globally, but promises to expand into each country soon.