Scammers are back with a new festive plan to steal money from you using Safaricom.
During the festive season there are those who are closing their offices and at the same time there are those who plan to con people, in other words they’ve started working. These scammers are promoting a new advert dubbed “Safaricom Krisi” where people will be winning cash prizes. It’s fascinating how these people have fine tuned their practice and are even using technology to capture their preys. They already created a site that looks just as real as what Safaricom would create and if you’re naive enough you will be conned.
On their site you are required to enter your number so that you can find out whether you have been shortlisted or not. Although this is well thought out plan we all know that Safaricom have not launched any campaigns around Christmas yet.
This might be the same culprits who cooked up the Safaricom’s 20th-anniversary celebration scams and just like the last two there are some details that they still didn’t improve such as:
1. The URL is not an official Safaricom one.
2. Safaricom has not advertised the offer on social media or TV
3. They require you to share the link in order to redeem your reward
4. Why would anyone give you money for free?
And just like the Spin scam, the scam artists have failed on some aspects. Especially when you get into the actual step of getting the money they claim to be rewarding you:
- Get verified by inputting your number (inputting fake numbers still gets you verified).
- Send the LINK TO 12 WHATSAPP GROUPS.
- Click the link specific to the phone and then… nothing
RISKS WITHIN THIS SCAM
- They are collecting your phone numbers: This means you might soon be receiving some spam messages
- Vulnerability to online/cyber attacks: You are never too sure what information they might be able to collect.
How do they benefit?
So apart from collecting phone numbers, they are also getting money through the affiliate links. Don’t let them scam you too.