During the wintery evenings, coats, scarfs, gloves and extra blankets might help a bit while we sleep. But when the weather gets really chilly, a space heater is a must-have in all homes. Space heaters are a great way to keep your indoors warm and toasty, and depending on the size of your home, can reduce your heating costs as much as 80%. They heat-up certain areas of a house, apartment or condo that you use the most, without wasting energy and money trying to heat your entire home.
Here are some tips that strike just the right balance between using space heaters to stay warm and using them safely.
- Never plug an electric fan heater appliance into a power strip or an extension cord. They should be plugged only into a wall outlet. Because of the energy load and extra electrical current flow that a space heater generates, if it is plugged into a power strip, it could overheat and result in a fire. Also, do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Never leave the room while the space heater is on.
- Never leave the space heater on when you go to sleep.
- To prevent shocks, always keep electric heaters away from water and never touch an electric heater if you’re wet.
- Always purchase a space heater that has been tested, approved and certified by a nationally recognised testing laboratory.
- Only use your heater for short periods of time; it shouldn’t be left on 24/7.
- Always read and follow the instructions manual and heed warning labels.
- If a space heater’s plugs or connections or power cord are frayed or damaged, do not use the space heater.
- Keep pets and children away from a space heater when it is plugged in and functioning.
- Do not use space heaters for purposes other than providing supplemental heat – no cooking, drying clothing or thawing frozen pipes.
- Make sure you have functional smoke alarms throughout your home and, especially, in bedrooms.
- Place space heaters in spaces that are at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn such as curtain drapes, bedding and furniture.
- Do not position space heaters on tables, chairs, furniture or counters where they will be unstable and/or could overheat and catch fire.
- Position space heaters away from high-traffic areas and doorways to reduce the chance of them being tripped or kicked over.
- Keep the space heaters on surfaces that are flat and levelled.
- Consider purchasing one with overheat protection, which means the appliance will automatically shut off if its internal components get too hot.
- Consider purchasing a space heater with tip-over protection, which means the appliance will automatically shut off if it is tipped over.
- Do not put anything, like a blanket or throw, over the top of a space heater that is in use.
- When a space heater is no longer needed or no longer in use, it must be unplugged.
- Periodically clean, inspect and maintain your space heater in a good working order.
Ramtons offer the best room heaters for sale in Kenya with variety and affordability. You may rely on Ramtons heating appliances for your primary heat source, or as an add-on for central heating in chillier rooms. Ramtons make lives in the home easier through innovative products, ample availability and strong support. They believe in making your shopping journey easy from the point of purchase to the point of use. Their home appliances are all about combining functionality, convenience and modernity. Any Ramtons product in stock is delivered to you between 2-6 days. They come with a one-year warranty.