One of the most important agencies in the country is the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB). The firm gathers data from registered financial institutions. As a result, it ensures that the gathered consumer credit information is available to all credit lending establishments across the country.
There are currently three licensed CRB companies in Kenya:
- TransUnion CRB Kenya
- Metropol Corporation
Here is a quick and easy way to check your CRB status online for free to see if you have been blacklisted by the CRB.
Steps for Checking Your CRB Status with Metropol CRB
- Dial *433# from your mobile phone while connected to the Safaricom network.
- Enter your National Identification Number.
- If you were referred by a Metropol agent, enter an agent number; otherwise, enter zero (0) to proceed.
- Confirm your information to finish the registration process.
- Pay Ksh 100 as registration fees via Pay Bill number 220388, with your National ID number as the account number.
- You will be sent an SMS containing your Crytobol PIN, a Reference Number, and a link to your credit report.
- To download your credit report, go to the Metropol website via the link provided and enter your phone number and reference number.
TransUnion allows you to check your CRB status online.
- Your full names should be texted to 21272 or 21CRB. Please keep in mind that SMS charges are Ksh 19.
- Downloading the TransUnion Nipashe app from Google Play and entering your correct information is the free method. If it says Good, you’re not blacklisted.
- Pay a one-time fee of Ksh 50 to PayBill number 212121 and enter your National ID as the account number.
- Obtain your credit status CR (Credit Report)
- To gain access, reply with your email address.
- Get your CRB status. (Good denotes a definite state (you are not blacklisted), while default denotes a negative state (you are blacklisted).)
Pay Ksh 650 to Mpesa/Airtel PayBill number 212121 and your National ID Number as an account number for subsequent credit reports. This step allows you to obtain more than one credit report per year.
Pay Ksh 2200 for a Clearance Certificate, then email your Mpesa/Airtel transaction details to [email protected], and the Clearance Certificate will be emailed to you.
Creditinfo CRB allows you to check your CRB status online for free.
- To access your credit report, fill out the Credit Report Request Form Online.
- Please fill out the Credit Certificate application form here if you need a clearance certificate.
- Fill out the Credit Report Dispute form here to correct and resolve any disputes on your credit report.
It is that simple to check your CRB status online in Kenya. None of the credit bureaus provide free services. As a result, you’ll need some money in your mobile wallet. If you are blacklisted, pay off your outstanding loan with your lender as soon as possible and follow up to have your name removed from the list.