When your laptop or PC works too slow, takes much time in start-up, or seems passive in loading the files, you might want to get rid of this behavior of the laptop or PC. Every tech fanatic desires to have a fast and efficient computing machine to work with, but according to laptopcircle.com survey, if he goes through the former problems, he would certainly move towards the alternatives. The easiest alternative could be the rest factory. This will bring your laptop or PC back to the fresh condition that you had once.
Before you make a reset factory to your laptop, you can refresh or restore it. Let us have a look at the difference between all of them.
Refresh your laptop: It is the reinstallation of windows that does not harm the files and settings you have had. You won’t be losing the apps that you installed from Microsoft.
Reset your laptop: It is the reinstallation of windows that deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC.
Restore your laptop: This setting will undo the recent system changes you have made.
What is a reset factory?
Reset factory means that you don’t own any application, app data, or settings that you have made on your laptop anymore. Reset factory deletes everything on your machine except the apps that came up with your laptop. You would never access practically the files and apps back unless you reinstall them. Reset factory also means that you will lose user data, but that will still be living on your hard drive. The hard drive only overwrites new data and keeps the old unaddressed. Therefore, make sure you have shifted your important files or data to other drives safely before resetting the factory.
So, if you feel that it is now important and safe to get rid of everything present in your computer, you can reset your laptop and can bring your laptop or PC to its previous efficient condition.
How to reset Windows?
To begin a reset factory in the windows operating system, you need to go through the following directions.
- Go to the Start menu which is present down in the left corner of your home screen.
- You will see a lot of options. Click on the Settings where a new window of your laptop setting will open.
- Among various settings of your laptop like system, devices or time & language, etc. Click on the Update and Security. As you opened the Update & Security window, click on the Recovery pane on the left.
- in this window, it will ask you for three options: Keep my files, remove everything and restore factory settings. Just go for the required one.
- Then in the following window, click the next and wait until it brings you back to the screen.
How to reset Mac?
Macintosh is the other type of operating system designed to be installed and operated on the Apple Macintosh series of computers. A lot of new switchers to mac operating system face hardships during its use. So, if you are a new user with an Apple laptop, and want to have reset factory settings, the following are the guidelines that will help you to do so.
- First of all, make sure to secure your important files and data on a cloud service. Apple offers this facility to its users for secure saving and upgrading to their new models. Creating a backup will protect your most valuable files. If you don’t back up your data, it will disappear into the ether when you perform a factory reset.
- Log out of all the services that you use on your laptop. Make your laptop ready for the reset. For example, getting a Sign-out of iTunes can be done by going to Choose account, Authorization. Click on Deauthorize this computer. If you’re running the latest macOS, you can skip this step.
- Unpair all Bluetooth devices. You can do it by going to the Apple menu, click on System Preferences and choose Bluetooth. Here, you can unpair keyboards, headphones, or other Bluetooth-enabled peripherals.
- Make sure you have enough battery back or another alternative to stay on during the reset factory.
- Restart your computer in recovery mode. When it shuts off and turns on back, hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo.
- Now you will see the “Mac OS utilities” window.
- Choose disk utility and continue.
- Choose the correct startup disc and select erase.
- Choose macOS Extended (Journaled) as the format.
- Click erase
- Wait until the process finishes, then go to the Disk Utility menu and quit.
- Reinstall macOS if you would like to do so.
Why do we need it?
We need a reset factory because it is necessary sometimes to bring our computer or laptop back to the condition when we bought it. It does it by deleting all the files, apps, and data stored in the hard drive. Sometimes, unnecessary files and apps uselessly overload the drive which mostly results in slow processing. If you feel irritated with this response of your machine, you should always step forward towards the reset factory.
Is it enough to reset and get everything done?
It would not be enough sometimes. A hard drive contains two rotating discs that seem like a CD. They are called platters and all the family photos and files are stored on them. When you do reset the factory setting of your machine, the data is hidden, and it still exists in the drive. If a hacker uses data forensics tools, he can find bits and pieces of those deleted files in the hard drive storage, making it possible to recover pretty much everything.
To sum up, these are the guidelines that can help you remove everything useless from your laptop. Indeed, we need a reset factory of our laptops to bring them back to normal behavior.