Samsung took the stage at the SDC23 (Samsung Developer Conference 2023) to announce the One UI 6 – the next installment of its custom user inteface. One UI 6 will prioritize on usability and intelligent photo and video editing.
The new software includes a redesigned Quick panel and app interfaces, as well as a new font called One UI Sans. The Gallery will evaluate photos and offer ways to improve them using AI tools such as Photo Remaster and Object Eraser. Samsung also announced a new video editor called Samsung Studio, which has the ability to add text, stickers, and music to the video timeline.
Samsung Health will become a digital health ecosystem. Third-party developers will be able to access the BioActive sensor on Galaxy smartwatches via the Samsung Privileged Health SDK.
Other notable features include:
- Multitasking improvements through a pop-up window that can remain open after you leave the Recents screen.
- A lock screen clock that can be positioned freely.
- A wide range of camera improvements, including a new widget, more alignment options for watermarks, quick access to resolution settings, easy-to-apply filters and effects, and more.
- Quick actions for apps in Finder search results.
- Recommendations in the My Files app to help you free up storage.
- Auto Blocker, which is an extra layer of protection preventing unknown apps from installing, checking malware, and blocking malicious commands from being sent via a USB connection.
- Customizable Bixby text call greetings and the option to switch to Bixby text call at any time, even during a call.
Surprisingly, Samsung is reviving the Linux-based open-source operating system, Tizen. The OS will be supported by new home appliances with larger displays, stoves and washing machines. Samsung revealed a Tizen SDK with a hybrid 2D and 3D graphics engine.
The tech giant hasn’t said when One UI 6.0 will be available, but the Galaxy S23 series will most likely be the first to get it after the beta test ends. It will most likely be updated before the end of the year.