This is how some Kenyans are trying to scam people with Safaricom’s 20th anniversary.
Kenyans are an idle bunch and it seems that unemployment is driving many into crime. So the new scam going around is a big lie claiming that Safaricom is doing a giveaway that is giving away KSh 4,100. Social media people were being asked to check to see if their number had been shortlisted to win the cash.
They are not so dumb.
Scammers always have to get smarter as soon as they realize that people have noted their patterns. So these people decided to use a different tactic by literally copying everything Safaricom would do. They used the official brand colours and even used a domain that Safaricom uses. This new way of stealing could actually lure a number of people if not careful.
- The layout: The outward User Interface is very Safaricom-esque. They have the right shades of green, good looking fonts and high quality ‘images’.
- The Link is also more appealing than most other scams
- Finally, Facebook comments and a like counter to give you the confidence that others have won too.
When you try and claim your money this is what happens.
- Get verified by inputting your number (inputting fake numbers still gets you verified)
- Send the LINK TO 12 WHATSAPP GROUPS
- Click the link specific to the phone and then… nothing
Basically their whole operation to ensure they collect as many numbers as possible and also make money using the affiliate links.