Different methods you can use to take a screenshot on a laptop.
If your workflow requires you to capture screengrabs on your Windows or MacBook PC regularly, you need to learn how to take a screenshot on a laptop. You will also have to memorize a few keyboard shortcuts here and there for different tasks. This will reduce the execution time and will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
A screenshot is a photograph of whatever is on your current window or screen. You can capture a screengrab on any platform. Laptops operating on Windows or Apple operating systems have an in-built snap feature that works great for basic tasks. However, for more ease and features, you might be forced to install third party programs.
How can you take a screenshot?
1.Method one: How to screenshot on a laptop using the snipping tool
Microsoft included a much flexible way to capture screengrabs in their latest OS called snipping tool. This method has been part of Windows since Windows Vista. Use the steps below:
- Launch your start Menu: Use the Windows Key. You can also tap on the bottom left side of your screen using your touchpad.
- Search for “Snipping Tool”: Scroll down until you can locate it. Alternatively, you can make use of Cortana. To launch it, tap Windows Key + C and type in the program keyword.
- Choose the type of snapshot you want: You will see the ‘Mode’ drop-down menu. You can choose between Free-Form Snip, Rectangular Snip, Window Snip, or Full-Screen Snip.
- Tap New: Your screen will freeze. Use your mouse to select the parts you want to appear in your screengrab. Once you are done, the image will appear on the Snipping Tool Window.
- Include a tooltip: If you want to capture something that appears on a click, you can set a delay specifying how long the program should wait before taking the snapshot. This is an exclusive method to take a screenshot on Windows 10 only.
- Edit the Picture: Use drawing tools or send it to any editor you have in your gadget to customize the photo.
2.Method two: Take quick screen captures using print screen
This button is named PrtScn in many keyboards. However, some have renamed Prnt Scrn. You can use this method to take a screenshot on Windows without snipping tool, especially if you have older models such as Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. Use the procedure below:
1.Locate the Key: In most keyboards, it is positioned between F12 and Scroll Lock. In some laptops, this is not a separate key, and you might have to use the Function key or Fn to access it.
2.To take a snapshot without saving: Follow the steps below:
1.Press PrtScn or Prnt Scrn. Use Fn key if this is not a button by itself.
2.Open your image editor, MS Word, or any other program where you want to paste the image.
3.Press Ctrl and V. You can also use the right-click menu then tap on Paste.
4.The dimensions of the pasted image will be similar to your display resolution.
3.To take a screen capture of one window: You should:
-Click on the title bar of the window in question.
-Press Alt and PrtScn.
-A snapshot of your current screen will be copied.
-Paste it in your image editor or any other program.
4. To capture a part of your screen: Use the following steps:
1.Tap your Windows Key, Shift and S.
2.Your mouse cursor will change.
3.Drag it so that only the part of your screen that you want to capture is clear.
4.Once you release your mouse, the image will be saved on your clipboard. Launch your image editor or any other program to paste it using Ctrl and V keys.
5. To save your screengrab: You need to tap the Windows Logo Key, Ctrl and PrtScn. In some models, press Windows Logo Key, Fn and PrtScn.
Method three: Using Game Bar shortcuts in Windows 10
Windows 10 has game DVR capabilities. This enables you to record gameplay, take snapshots or footage. The pictures generated are in PNG format. To use this feature, follow the steps below:
1.Launch your Xbox app: This program comes preinstalled on your laptop. Head to your Start Menu, search for it, and tap on its logo so that it opens up.
2.Open its settings: Under “Game DVR”, you will see “Take Screenshots using Game DVR” option. Enable it and create your own quick and memorable shortcut to be accessing it.
3.To take a screengrab: Use “Windows Logo Key” plus G by default or the shortcut you set in the step above.
4. Accept that the application is a game: You will see “Yes, this is a game” pop-up. Tick the text box.
5.Tap on the Camera Icon: This will capture the window. A notification will appear informing you that the picture was saved.
6. Locate the file: You can click on the “Screenshot saved” pop-up. This will take you to “On this PC” section of Xbox. You will be able to see all your screengrabs.
Method four: Take even powerful screen captures with third-party programs
All the above built-in ways to take screengrabs have their pros and cons. If you take lots of snapshots and you want more convenience and flexibility, then you need third-party tools.
If you do not mind spending some dollars, you can purchase pro-tools such as Snagit. These programs will make taking screengrabs even easier. Additionally, they have many features that will help you target any area of your screen.