With 1.3 billion active members and 20 billion messages posted each month, Facebook is the world’s largest social media network. The Messenger app allows users to communicate with their friends, but the platform is also used by small businesses and global companies.
It’s easy to become overwhelmed if you routinely exchange messages with a large number of individuals on Facebook. That’s why Facebook lets you archive talks that you want to put on hold so you can go back to them later. Continue reading to learn everything there is to know about Facebook’s Archive feature.
Transferring Your Facebook Messages to the Archive
Depending on the device you’re using, you can archive any message or chat on Facebook with a few simple clicks or touches. Messages can only be archived on a computer, but they can be viewed at any time on a mobile device. Here’s what you should do:
- Log into your Facebook account using your browser.
- By clicking on the “Message” icon on your desktop and selecting “See all in Messenger,” you can access your desktop Messenger program.
- On the left-hand pane, locate the chat you want to save.
- Next to the chat you want to archive, click the three dotted menu icon.
- Choose “Archive Chat” from the drop-down menu.
The complete conversation history will be archived and will no longer visible in the message feed.
On Desktop Computers, Viewing Archived Messages
On desktop and mobile devices, the method for reading archived messages on Facebook vary slightly. You don’t have to be concerned because we’ll go over both approaches. To access the Facebook archive on your desktop, follow these steps:
- Go to Facebook.com in your browser.
- Log into your account.
- Choose “See all in Messenger” from the messages icon.
- Select “Archived Chats” from the three dotted menu icon in the top left corner.
- You’ll see a folder with all of your archived chats. The chat will resurface in Messages after you post a reply.
When this happens, people are frequently perplexed, but replying to an old chat brings the conversation back to life. It is then instantly copied to the messages folder.
You may also use the “Search in Conversations” tool to locate a certain message by entering in a keyword that was used in the chat.
Messages that have been archived can be seen on mobile devices.
You don’t even need to launch the Facebook app to view archived messages on your mobile device. To get to the archive, you’ll need to use Facebook Messenger. Here’s what you should do:
- On your phone, open the Messenger app.
- Type the name of the person whose archived communications you want to see into the search bar.
- You will see the complete conversation by selecting the desired contact.
Backing Up Your Facebook Account
You must back up your Facebook account if you want to ensure that your communications are secure. To ensure that nothing is lost, repeat the operation every two or three months. Here’s what you should do:
- In the top right corner of your Facebook account, click Account Settings.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Settings & Privacy,” then “Settings.”
- When the settings page loads, go to the left sidebar and click on “Your Facebook Information,” then “Download Your Information” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Request Copy” from the drop-down menu. Select “All of my data” from the Date Range drop-down menu, then click “Create File.” Your PC will be downloaded with all of your data, including your talks.
- It takes some time for the download to finish. You will receive an email with a detailed report after it is completed.