Many have already branded Instagram Reels as a TikTok Clone.
And in many ways, it is. Reels let you record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects, music, and new creative tools. But, there is a difference: Reels is built right inside the Instagram app. That means that you can share reels with your followers in Feed and even in a new space in Explore if you have a public profile.
To people like me, this is a huge bonus: there is no need to download and use another app (TikTok). I am ready to bet that Reels will democratize TikTok-style videos and allow new audiences of all ages to become more creative.
How to create your first Instagram Reels
When using the latest version of the Instagram app, select Reels at the bottom of the Instagram camera. There you will find a variety of creative tools to help you create your Reel.
- Audio: Search for a song from the Instagram music library. You can also use your own original audio by simply recording a reel with it. When you share a reel with original audio, your audio will be attributed to you, and if you have a public account, people can create reels with your audio by selecting “Use Audio” from your reel.
- AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in our effect gallery, created by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects.
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown before recording begins for the amount of time you selected.
- Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next to help create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes or adding new friends into your reel.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected. This can help you stay on a beat or make slow-motion videos.