Safaricom’s Lipa Mdogo Mdogo initiative aims to enable Kenyans to purchase 4G capable smartphone devices for as little as Sh20 per day. While the long-term cost of these devices exceeds the total amount required to walk in and walk out with a device, the initiative provides a level of convenience unrivaled.
For Shs 20 per day, you could own a device capable of connecting to the fastest internet broadband technologies available in the country.
Lipa Mdogo Mdogo wants an additional one million Safaricom customers to be able to upgrade to 4G-enabled devices.
Here’s how you can get a Safaricom Android Go edition for as little as Ksh.20 per day from Safaricom:
- Dial *544# from your phone.
- Lipa Mdogo Mdogo is the best option.
- Accept the terms and conditions by selecting 1 as your response.
- After approval, you should receive a text message indicating your eligibility and the value of the device you can purchase.
- You can also get more information by dialing 100.
Benefits to the target consumer
- A 4G enabled smartphone can be purchased at a reasonable price.
- To own a smartphone, the user only needs to pay a down payment of 1000KSH and then 20KSH per month for 9 months.
- Safaricom will provide free data bundles to consumers who enroll in the program.
- Nonpayment for one month automatically blacklists you with the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
- If you do not pay within 7 days, your phone will be locked and you will be unable to make outgoing calls or SMS.
- There is only one brand of smartphone available, which severely limits the user’s options.