Finding an experienced Node.js programmer can be a challenge. If you want to hire Node.js developers for your business, start with this guide.
What is Node.JS?
What does a Node.js App Developer do?
Dedicated Node.js developers will deploy and maintain your network apps, connect applications with other web services, manage the exchange of data between servers and users, and develop back-end components.
In your team, they will be tasked with supporting front-end developers with the integration of various applications.
The Job Description of a Node.js developer
The first step when you hire a Node js developer is to write the job description. This may include:
- Ensuring that the central database is performing optimally
- Developing and maintaining all server-side network components
- Ensuring responsiveness to any front-end requests
- Collaborating with front-end developers
- Designing customer-facing UI
- Developing high-performance apps by writing reusable and efficient code
- Developing Back-end services for various processes
- Implementing effective security protocols and measures
- Running diagnostics tests and repairing defects
- Providing Tech Support
- Documenting all Node.js processes and database schemas
- Preparing reports
They also need to stay on top of advancements in the field of Node.js development.
I want to hire a Node.js developer…where do I start?
When you decide to hire a Node.js developer, you can either hire someone permanently using a recruitment agency or your own HR team.
Internal Hiring can be difficult. If you use a recruitment agency, they can charge high fees. Some charge a commission equal to one month of the Node.Js developers’ salary when they are placed.
If you have an internal HR team, they can handle the administration, interviewing and onboarding, but they need to have the right skills to be able to identify a good Node.js developer.
Make sure your team knows which questions to ask and what they should look for on a resumé.
Questions to Ask
Your team will have to test the Node.js developers’ analytical skills and knowledge of Node.js. Your questions may vary depending on whether you are hiring a beginner or advanced Node.js developer.
Ask questions like:
- How does Node.js handle child threads?
- How does Node.js support multi-processor platforms? Talk about how it utilizes all processor resources?
- What is the first argument passed to a Node.js callback handler?
- What is REPL and what is it used for?
- What is the preferred method of resolving unhandled exceptions?
- How would you avoid callback hell?
You may want to provide them with code snippets and outcomes and ask them how they would write the code differently.
Your recruitment team will probably need to look for the following qualifications when reviewing resumés:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar
- Practical experience as a Node.js developer
- Knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in several teams
- Superior problem-solving skills
- Good time management skills
- Problem-solving capabilities
If you don’t want to go the route of internal hiring, you should consider offshoring. Offshoring companies have networks of skilled Node.js developers that have been vetted and are ready to start work.
In addition to access to a great team of skilled Node.js developers, offshoring is much cheaper than hiring candidates yourself.
Your offshoring team will follow a slightly different process than an internal recruitment team.
The steps would look like this:
- The offshoring agency will spend some time understanding your company, your culture and your project requirements.
- Once they understand exactly what you will need, they will compile a team of developers from their database of trusted Node.js programmers.
- They will brief, hire and pay the developers.
- You will retain full control over your team and the offshoring team.
- You will dictate processes and set KPIs for the offshoring team.
- The offshoring agency will handle any performance issues and administration for the duration of the project.
If you want to hire Node.js developers, consider all your options carefully before proceeding. The benefits of hiring these skilled developers are clear. Make sure that you pick the most effective and cost effective way of hiring.