Digital assets worth millions of dollars are lost every year. In most situations, these coins cannot be recovered and exit the currency circulation system forever. One can track down the lost coins to user error more often. Let us discuss in this article what happens to the lost coins and how to prevent any mistakes.
- Where do missing bitcoins go?
Bitcoin was designed to have a limited supply amount, unlike conventional currencies. Central banks can issue notes according to their needs, but new bitcoins can never be issued after mining all 21 million coins.
- Departed and demolished Bitcoin further shrink the utmost supply of the currency. According to the documents published by Cane Island Digital Research, 4% of the total available Bitcoin reduces every year.
- Although Bitcoin was designed with the maximum supply of 21 million coins, the documents show that a total of 14 million Bitcoin will be in circulation due to the number of coins lost.
- Another report published by New York Times states that, out of 18.5 million bitcoins mined to date, approximately 20% seems to be lost. During this time, the price of Bitcoin in the market was close to $140 billion.
- Investors believe that the lost coin increases the digital asset price because the lost coins increase Bitcoin scarcity, which further skyrockets their value.
- Reasons behind losing Bitcoin:
Bitcoin can get lost or destroyed in its circulation itself. The common reason behind this is the mistakes made in storing or transacting digital currency.
- Bitcoin sent to unreachable address – while sending Bitcoin from one crypto wallet to another, the user has to input 26 to 35 characters which is the recipient’s address. Most wallets are sturdy to confirm these digits that match the digital wallet’s public key belonging to someone. Therefore, sending Bitcoin to a fraudulent account is a rare mistake.
- However, transferring Bitcoin to a different wallet due to intermixing of two addresses is very common. Trading Bitcoin online can be a tough job for beginners; click http://crypto-engineapp.com/to learn more on the digital trading of Bitcoin.
- An investor, for example, may send Bitcoin to an address belonging to a fake person than sending it to the desired location. Also, they could send Bitcoin to an address where they have conducted business for a few days. These coins should remain in circulation as long as the actual users have access to their crypto wallets.
- Coins lost due to inadequate storage – many coins are lost every year because of the wrong way users store them.
- For example, several traders collect their bitcoin through online exchanges. They expect the online business to keep their coins secure. Although there are websites that store bitcoins securely, lately, there have been cases of fraudulent sites that steal users of their coins.
- Preventing the loss of coins:
- Encrypting your digital wallets and keeping them backed up can safeguard your coins.
- One must not store bitcoin money on their smartphones. Use cold wallets instead. It is an offline mode of storage and reduces fraudulent cases.
- The personnel can employ password managers to generate and collect the passwords safely on more than one device.
- What to do when coins are lost:
In any circumstances when your coins are lost, the following may help:
- Coins delivered to the wrong address – in such cases, there is no possible way to retrieve the lost money. However, you can contact the wallet holder if they are willing to refund the money.
- Assets are stuck – this will happen when the user sets the wrong fee for the transaction. If your digital wallet supports the feature, you can use the method known as RBF to crash it.
One must be careful while trading Bitcoin as it may get lost due to various factors. Losing Bitcoin can lead to significant financial damage for the investor.